This flavorful Keto Bacon and Shrimp Chowder is creamy, comforting, and filling all while being low-carb!
SOUP. We’re currently obsessed. This Keto Bacon and Shrimp Chowder is our latest creation and it’s delicious! We start by frying up the bacon and using the reserved bacon grease to cook the shrimp, then we add in butter (duh), onion + garlic, broth, turnips (to make it creamy!), and spices. At the end, we gave the chowder a splash of heavy cream and blended it up with an immersion blender before adding the bacon and shrimp back to the Dutch oven.
By blending the soup you get a perfectly creamy chowder. If you’re a fan of a brothy soup you can simply skip this step. Topping the soup off with some fresh chives is the icing on the cake, um soup.
Here are a few ways you can customize the chowder:
Want to make this keto bacon and shrimp chowder spicy? Add in a diced jalapeño with the onions.
Use cauliflower in place of turnips if you can’t find them.
Add sour cream, jalapeños, and cilantro to the top for a Mexican style chowder.
If going the Mexican route, throw in some Rotel with the onions as well (sort of like our famous Chicken Queso Soup)
Keto Bacon and Shrimp Chowder
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced (125g)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ½ cups diced turnips 320g
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 cups chicken bone broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup minced chives for topping
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the shrimp to the pot and cook 1-2 minutes per side until cooked through, remove and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pot. Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until softened but not browned. Add in the turnips and spices and cook 1 minute until fragrant.
- Pour in the bone broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 15 minutes until the turnip is tender.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup in the pot.
- Pour in the heavy cream. Divide between bowls and top with bacon, shrimp, and chives. Serve immediately.