We know what you're thinking, "Kale salads are so boring!." But, you know what? Our Keto Kale Salad is a showstopper that can shine as the star of the meal. It has a crunchy bread crumb topping that creates the perfect texture with freshly grated Parmesan-style cheese (our vegan alternative). Here's a rundown on how to make it!
- Preparation overview
- Chef's note
- 🥗 Ingredients for this keto kale salad recipe
- Ingredient substitutions
- Additional ingredients
- Kitchen tools required
- Tools substitute options
- How to make Keto Kale Salad: step-by-step guide
- Cooking methods
- Preparation steps
- Instructions steps
- What to serve with low-carb kale salad?
- How to make it healthier
- Time-saving tips
- What can I prepare ahead of time?
- Storage instructions
- Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
- Frequently asked questions
- 📖 Recipe
Making this fresh kale salad is a cakewalk. All you have to do is combine the freshly torn kale with a zesty mix of lemon juice, olive oil, and aromatic spices. Then, mix in the keto croutons and the dairy-free Parmesan cheese. Within 10 minutes, you will have a fresh, refreshing salad on your dining table.
Don't be afraid to put your spin on this salad recipe. Toss in some sliced avocados or a handful of cherry tomatoes. Or, play around with different keto-friendly dressings like creamy avocado or a tangy vinaigrette for a new flavor.
🥗 Ingredients for this keto kale salad recipe
Here's a list of ingredients to make this low-carb salad at home:
Feel free to swap some of the ingredients in this recipe:
You can use these to elevate the flavor profile of your kale salad.
Kitchen tools required
To make this keto kale salad recipe, you will need the following tools:
Tools substitute options
How to make Keto Kale Salad: step-by-step guide
- Gather and measure all the ingredients.
- Wash the kale under cold tap water and tear them into bite-sized pieces. Remove any thick stems that might be too tough for your salad.
- Start by whisking together the lemon juice, olive oil, and spices.
- Add the kale to the bowl, and mix well with your hands for 2-3 minutes until the kale is tender.
- Crush ½ cup of the croutons into breadcrumbs and mix with the grated Parmesan cheese in a different bowl.
- Divide the salad between serving plates and top with the breadcrumb mixture and the remaining croutons. Add additional sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper if desired.
Chef's pro tip
When making a kale salad, take enough time to massage the kale with spices. If you skip this step or rush through it, the kale can stay tough and fibrous – not the most pleasant texture for a salad.
What to serve with low-carb kale salad?
Serve this kale salad as a side dish or appetizer, or pair it with protein for a complete meal. For plant-based protein, this salad is great with baked tempeh! Some other options are as follows:
How to make it healthier
What can I prepare ahead of time?
Note: Once the salad is dressed, it's best to consume it immediately, or the kale will wilt and lose its crunchy texture.
Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
Our vibrant, zesty Keto Kale Salad is a must-try. Whether you're on a tight schedule, having a lazy day, or entertaining friends, this dish never disappoints. Pair it with some grilled salmon or a juicy steak for a dinner that screams 'gourmet,' or pack it up for a refreshingly crisp and healthy lunch. The possibilities are endless with this versatile salad, and we guarantee you'll be making it repeatedly!
Give this recipe a try, and share the pictures of your creations with us on our Instagram or Facebook. We're always here, waiting to be part of your flavorful journey.
Frequently asked questions
Keto Kale Salad
- 4 cups curly kale kale leaves torn into bite-sized pieces with stems removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup keto-friendly croutons
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan-style cheese we use Violife
- Start by whisking together the lemon juice, olive oil, and spices. Add the kale to the bowl and using your hands, massage the kale for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Crush ½ cup of the croutons into breadcrumbs and mix with the grated parmesan.
- Divide the salad between serving plates and top with the breadcrumb mixture and the remaining croutons. Add additional salt and pepper if desired.