This Keto Queso Chicken Soup is a great low-carb soup that’s ready in just about 30 minutes. Grab a bowl and dig in!
This Keto Queso Chicken Soup could win an award for the best low-carb soup, or heck just the best bowl of soup even if you’re not keto! It’s a cheesy masterpiece. Serve it up with a slice of our Keto Cornbread to soup up every last drop!
I love making meals in my Dutch Oven, maybe it’s just personal preference, but meals made is a dutch oven just taste better. I talked about some of my reasons for cooking in cast iron a while back in my Keto Chicken Soup post, below is an excerpt from that post:
One of the many reasons I enjoy cooking with cast iron are the nutritional benefits. I know you don’t take a bite out of the pan itself but just cooking a meal in a cast iron skillet actually fortifies your food with iron, and the longer you have your cast iron cookware and the more meals you cook in it the more effective it becomes at supplementing your iron intake. Most guys don’t have iron issues, but I had to stop donating blood a few years ago because my levels dropped so low. I was tired all the time and it took a toll on my day to day life, so if your iron levels are low cast iron may be exactly what you need.
You can read more about the health benefits of cooking with cast iron here:
- PilatesNutritionist.com – 6 Benefits of Cooking in Cast Iron
- Epicurious – The Health Benefits of Cooking with a Cast Iron Skillet
- Paleo Leap – Cooking with Cast Iron
What’s in Keto Queso Chicken Soup?
- chicken breast
- chicken broth – use bone broth for the best flavor!
- avocado oil – any high-heat oil will work (ghee, animal fat, algae oil)
- Rotel with diced green chiles
- keto taco seasoning
- cream cheese
- heavy cream
Can I make this dairy-free?
You could use a vegan cream cheese substitute and a dairy-free milk alternative to make this soup dairy-free!
Can I make this soup in an Instant Pot or Slow Cooker?
Yes! See below on how to do each:
Slow Cooker Method
Place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4. Shred the chicken and top with your desired toppings and serve.
Instant Pot Method
Choose the saute function on the Instant Pot. Add the oil to the insert and once hot add in the Rotel and taco seasoning. Cook a minute or two until fragrant then add in the chicken and the broth.
Place the lid on the IP and switch the function to manual high pressure for 11 minutes. At the end of the 11 minutes, manually release the pressure. Shred the chicken then return it to the pot along with the cream cheese and heavy cream.
Turn the function to saute one more time and bring it to a simmer until the cheese is melted and the soup is creamy. Top with desired toppings and serve.
- sour cream
- extra salsa (Rotel)
- Sliced jalapeños – pickled or fresh
Can I freeze this Keto Queso Chicken soup?
Yes! We love freezing this soup to have on hand on busy days. Simply freeze it in a freezer-safe bag or jar. We love Mason jars or Stasher Bags!
Keto Queso Chicken Soup
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 10 oz cans Rotel with diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- Salt to taste
- Sliced jalapeño
- Minced cilantro
- In a cast iron dutch oven (or normal pot) heat the oil over medium heat. Stir in the Rotel and taco seasoning and cook for 1 minute just to toast the spices.
- Add in the chicken and broth, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and shred, set aside.
- Stir the cream cheese and heavy cream into the soup. You may want to use an immersion blender to make it creamier than just stirring. Once the cheese has melted add the chicken back into the soup. Season with salt to your taste and serve with desired toppings.