I’ve always been a huge fan of scalloped potatoes, they were a holiday staple and even made their way onto the dinner table a few times per month. Since going keto I’ve tried to replicate this traditional recipe and I think I’ve finally nailed it. These Keto Scalloped Turnips are creamy, cheesy, tender, and taste almost identical to potatoes with a fraction of the carbs.
This low-carb recipe is super simple to make. We start by sautéing onion and fresh thyme in butter (butter makes everything better) then microwaving the heavy cream and cream cheese together to form a cream sauce. The cream cheese helps thicken the cream so there’s no need for a flour type of thickener.
After that you just layer in the thinly sliced turnips, top with the onions and more pats of butter creating about 3 layers. Pour that cream sauce over the top and cover with foil to bake for about 30 minutes before removing the foil to let the top get nice and crispy around the edges.
I swear this will be a hit with the potato loving folks in your life, I doubt they’ll even realize they’re not eating potatoes!
Check out these other resources to read more about the nutritional benefits of turnips:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups peeled and thinly sliced turnips about 6 small/medium turnips
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Heat one tablespoon butter in a 10″ or larger cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and thyme, cook stirring frequently about 5 minutes until softened and starting to brown. Remove and set aside.
- In a heatproof bowl melt the heavy cream, cream cheese, and salt and pepper together until smooth.
- Place one layer of turnips in the skillet overlapping slightly, sprinkle with a bit of the onion and place a few cubes of butter on top. Repeat with 2 more layers.
- Pour the cream sauce over the top and cover with foil. Bake at 350° F for 30 minutes, uncover and bake another 45 until golden on top.