Mediterranean Asparagus - charred lemon garlic asparagus on top of whipped feta and topped with olives, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, and lemon zest.
Have you been looking for a fun new low-carb side dish? If so, look no further than this Keto Mediterranean Asparagus! This side dish is hearty enough to be the main meal but is divine when served with a grilled or roasted protein.
We start off by whipping some feta. What's whipped feta you ask? Only the BEST thing EVER. Seriously, it's SO good and so simple that you'll want it on everything from here on out.
How to make whipped feta
You'll need feta, sour cream, and heavy cream <- we typically go with Organic Valley for all of our dairy needs since it's pastured and organic. Also, add in a bit of high quality extra virgin olive oil <- we LOVE Bragg's.
To make this creamy concoction you'll simply combine all of those ingredients in a small blender or food processor and blend until super smooth. This isn't just good for this Mediterranean Asparagus recipe, it's good on everything. Use it as a dip for sliced cucumbers, pork rinds, or bell peppers.
We love making this recipe by using dairy-free substitutions - Follow Your Heart Feta, Forager Sour Cream, and plain unsweetened almond milk in place of the heavy cream. You really can't even tell the difference.
So now that you're aware that the whipped feta is the BEST part of this recipe let's talk about the asparagus because it's crave-worthy as well. Asparagus, crave-worthy? Yes, just bear with me for a moment!
We start by roasting the asparagus with olive oil, lemon zest, spices, and garlic. You'll roast the asparagus until it's tender and the tips are charred about 20-25 minutes.
Next, you'll plate spoon the whipped feta onto a serving tray and top it with the asparagus. Give it a drizzle of olive oil all over the top and then scatter the olives, capers, and sundried tomatoes over the top. A sprinkle of flaky sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and some extra lemon zest seals the deal.
Guys, this recipe...it's just SO good and for how layered the flavors are you'd think it takes forever to make but it's really simple.
Be sure to not discard the crushed garlic cloves, spoon those over the top. The combo of the whipped feta with the garlic is one of the best bites I can remember having lately....we miss restaurants, ha!
- 2 bunches asparagus (about 2 lbs) ends trimmed by 1”
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 (130g) jar mixed pitted olives
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes (40g)
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces feta cheese dairy-free if plant-based, we use Follow Your Heart
- ¼ cup sour cream dairy-free if plant-based, we use Forager or KiteHill plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream dairy-free if plant-based, we use plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- For the whipped feta, simply combine the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place the asparagus in a 10” or larger cast iron skillet. Drizzle with the avocado oil and top with sea salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic cloves, and the zest of the lemon. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the asparagus is tender and slightly charred.
- Place the whipped feta on a serving platter and top with the roasted asparagus. Top the asparagus with the olives, sundried tomatoes, capers, and cucumber. Drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil over the top of the asparagus and serve.