This easy low-carb dinner of Balsamic Mushrooms with Herbed Veggie Mash is perfect for plant-based eaters or anyone looking to add more veggies to their diet!
Are you a mushroom fan? We are! We especially love wild mushrooms but this easy meal of Balsamic Mushrooms with Herbed Veggie Mash is great with your run of the mill Cremini’s which are easy to find at any grocery store.
If you have access to other mushroom varieties, we love Maitake in this recipe too.
The veggie mash is basically our Keto Mashed Cauliflower, we adore this recipe and use it for so many things. It really is perfection. Even if you’re not usually a fan of cauliflower, you’ll love it. And, yes, we know that’s what all the food bloggers say but we promise it’s true!
Obviously, this recipe is pretty low-calorie so if you’re wanting to bump it up a bit, try serving this as a side with some protein. Tempeh and tofu are the obvious choices for plant-based folks or for omnivores, chicken or steak would be our go-to’s. If you serve this as a main or a side, either way, we bet you’ll love it!
Balsamic Mushrooms with Herbed Veggie Mash
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted dairy-free butter or regular if not dairy-free
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs we used rosemary, oregano, and thyme
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- ⅔ cup unsweetened plain almond milk or heavy cream if not dairy-free
- 1 ½ cups chopped kale
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- First, make the veggie mash by heating the butter in a large 10.5” skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot add in the garlic and fresh herbs cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add in the cauliflower and heavy cream. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the florets are soft. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth. If needed, add an additional tablespoon or two of heavy cream to reach your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To the same skillet over medium heat add the kale with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes until wilted. Stir the kale into the mashed cauliflower and divide between two bowls.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Once hot add in the garlic and mushrooms. Add 1 tablespoon water to the skillet, cook for 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms are soft. Add in the balsamic vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Cook another 1-2 minutes until the vinegar has reduced and is thick. Top the bowls with the mushrooms and serve.