These Keto Shishito Peppers with Bacon are an easy low-carb side dish for any meal.
Sometimes simple is best, and these Keto Shishito Peppers with Bacon are just simply delicious. If shishitos are an ingredient you are unfamiliar with don’t worry, this is a great way to try them out for the first or fiftieth time.
A few years ago I had never heard of shishito peppers, but I happened to stumble across them in a Trader Joe’s and was intrigued. I grabbed a package of them and when I got home googled how to cook them and ended up blistering them in my skillet and eating them on the side with a salmon filet.
I was hooked immediately! Shishitos have a very mild flavor but roughly one in ten is significantly spicier than the rest (though it’s still not as hot as a jalapeno), but it made dinner somewhat playful, guessing whose plate would have the spicy one or which bite might be the one.
I have been seeing shishito peppers everywhere lately, as they become more common. I grabbed these at a farmer’s market when we passed through Vermont, and blistering them in the bacon grease has become my favorite way to prepare them.
If you’d like to read a little more about shishito pepper’s check out the links below:
- Shishito Pepper: Mild… Until It Isn’t – Pepper Scale
- 4 Ways Shishito Peppers Are Crazy-Good For You – Baywater Farms
- Shishito Peppers – Freida’s
Keto Shishito Peppers
- 6 slices bacon
- 5 ounces shishito peppers about 20
- Flaky sea salt to taste
- Prepare the bacon according to these instructions.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and roughly chop, pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the skillet.
- Place the skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Add the peppers to the skillet and cook 3-4 minutes per side until they are blistered and charred.
- Add in the crumbled bacon and season with salt to taste before serving.
Nutritional values are estimates only and do not include carbs from sugar alcohols.