This Keto Frittata with Avocado and Queso is an easy breakfast that will please a crowd! It’s delicious with a little chipotle crema if you’re filling fancy.
A Keto Frittata with Avocado and Queso is one of my favorite ways to start the day. It has everything you could ever want; healthy fats from the avocado, a nice dose of protein from the eggs, and cheese… from the cheese. This frittata is great for a weekend brunch to serve your friends and family (Don’t forget the Keto Cinnamon Rolls), or whip it up to take the guesswork out of breakfast for the next 2-3 days.
The egg was one of the most vilified foods in the crusade against fat over the last several decades. The tide has started to turn for eggs, as well as the ketogenic diet/low carb high-fat lifestyle. Even the deadly yolks packed full of toxic cholesterol are widely considered an excellent source of healthy fats and a bounty of other nutrients.
When I was in elementary school my dad had a heart attack. He had a couple of stents put in and I vividly remember my mom buying those cartons of egg whites from the grocery store to make his breakfasts. It made sense with the amount of information available at the time. Maybe the heart issue itself was a result of a diet rich in Little Debbie Cakes and Coca-Cola. Or maybe it had to do with decades of smoking. I’m not a doctor and I have no real qualifications to make this statement, but… the eggs had nothing to do with it.
Every time I talk about foods that were once considered unhealthy or unsafe to consume, I’m always reminded of a Michael Pollan quote from In Defense of Food:
“Nutrition science is where surgery was in about 1650, you know, really interesting and promising, but would you want to have them operate on you yet? I don’t think so.”
That quote is almost ten years old now and I feel as though we have made large strides in nutrition science. There are so many contradictory studies (not to mention opinions), reaching a consensus on which way of eating is the healthiest seems impossible. In the meantime, I’ll just stick with this whole keto thing and following my other favorite Michael Pollan quote;
“Don’t eat anything that won’t eventually rot…things like Twinkies that never go bad aren’t food”
For more information about the nutritional powerhouse a.k.a eggs check out the links below:
The Heart-Healthy, Disease-Preventing Health Benefits of Eggs – Dr. Axe
Keto Frittata with Avocado and Queso
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 ounces cojita cheese
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 avocado cut into slices
- 4 slices bacon
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, and taco spices.
- Cook bacon in a 10.5″ cast iron skillet over medium high heat until crispy (you can also use the oven method). Remove the bacon, chop, and drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- Add the onion, green chiles, jack cheese, and eggs to the skillet. Top with bacon crumbles, avocado slices, cherry tomatoes halves, and the crumbled cojita.
- Bake at 400° F for 12-15 minutes or until the middle is set. Slice and serve.