Get ready to fall head over heels for the incredible combo of buffalo chicken and blue cheese in these mouthwatering Keto Buffalo Chicken Meatballs—they're simply irresistible!
If your local grocery store sells ground chicken in their meat department, it can save you a lot of time and effort than grinding your own. The last time we made these, we had to grind the chicken in a Vitamix, and while it was effective, it was also one of the most aggravating things to clean.
Easy-to-clean-up meals are among our favorite things, so this is a win-win. If you're a fan of meatballs, this really is one of the easiest and most delicious meatball recipes on CIK. The deliciousness-to-effort ratio is right where I like it for a quick, easy weeknight meal the whole family will love.
Preparation and cooking overview
Whip up these delectable Keto Buffalo Chicken Meatballs by first mixing the ground chicken, red bell pepper, green onion, mayonnaise, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and salt in a large bowl. Next, shape the mixture into 16 evenly-sized meatballs and cook them in a hot, buttered cast iron skillet until golden brown. With these easy steps, you'll have a savory and satisfying dish ready to enjoy in no time!
To give your meatballs an extra burst of flavor, consider adding your favorite low-carb hot sauce or buffalo sauce to the mix. Experiment with the spice level and additional seasonings to make these meatballs uniquely yours.
🥘 Ingredients for this Keto Buffalo Chicken Meatballs recipe
Cooking tools required
To make this Keto Buffalo Chicken Meatballs recipe, you will need the following cooking equipment and tools:
How to make Keto Buffalo Chicken Meatballs: step-by-step guide
These delicious keto meatballs can be cooked with various methods. You can choose any method you want. Just take care to follow the cooking instructions for perfectly cooked keto meatballs.
How to prepare the meatballs?
- In a large mixing bowl, combine meatball ingredients like lean ground chicken, red bell pepper, green onion, mayonnaise, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and salt. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Use your hands to roll the chicken mixture into 16 evenly golf ball size shaped meatballs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until melted and hot.
- Add the meatballs to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Let them cool for a while, or put them into the fridge before baking or cooking further. This will help retain the juices in the sausage balls.
- Cook the meatballs until the internal temperature of the meatballs reaches 165°F, remove them from the skillet, and set them aside.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup of Franks RedHot sauce and stir well to combine to become spicy buffalo sauce.
- Return the meatballs to the skillet with the hot sauce and toss them until they are evenly coated.
- As desired, top the cooked meatballs with chopped blue cheese, green onion, and celery.
- Serve immediately with optional blue cheese dressing, and enjoy your delicious keto appetizer!
- Place the meatballs in the oven on a prepared baking sheet at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked and lightly browned.
- While the meatballs are baking, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup of Franks RedHot sauce and stir well to combine.
- Once the meatballs are fully cooked, remove them from the oven and transfer them to the skillet with the hot sauce. Toss the meatballs in the sauce until they are evenly coated.
- As desired, top the meatballs with chopped blue cheese, green onion, and celery.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your delicious keto recipe!
Air Fryer instructions
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the meatballs inside.
- Air fry the meatballs for 10-12 minutes or until fully cooked and lightly browned.
- While the meatballs are cooking, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup of Franks RedHot sauce and stir well to combine.
- Once the meatballs are fully cooked, remove them from the air fryer and transfer them to the skillet with the hot sauce. Toss the meatballs in the sauce until they are evenly coated.
- Top the meatballs with chopped blue cheese, green onion,½ teaspoon pepper, and celery, as desired.
- Serve hot buffalo chicken meatballs by air fryer method!
Instant pot method
You can also make instant pot chicken meatballs for an even quicker cooking time.
- Put the meatballs in sauce in the crockpot. Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to manual pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once the time is up, use the quick-release valve to release the pressure. Remove the lid and switch to the sauté function to cook for another 1-2 minutes, occasionally stirring, until the sauce has thickened. Voila, your instant pot buffalo chicken meatballs are ready to serve!
Slow cooker method
You can also make slow cooker buffalo chicken meatballs for an easy, hands-off cooking method.
- Combine the meatballs and sauce in the slow cooker and stir to coat. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours until the internal temperature of the meatballs reaches 165°F.
- Once cooked, you can serve the meatballs as is or switch the slow cooker to the sauté function to thicken the sauce for a few minutes. Serve your buffalo chicken meatballs crockpot way!
Chef's pro tip
One important pro tip is to handle the meat mixture as little as possible. Overworking the mixture can result in tough and dense meatballs. When mixing the ingredients, use a light hand and avoid packing the mixture too tightly. Gently roll the mixture into balls and avoid compressing them. This will help keep tender, juicy meatballs.
What to serve with keto buffalo chicken balls?
There are many delicious and keto-friendly options to serve with meatballs. Here are a few ideas:
By incorporating these sides, you can create a complete and balanced meal that complements the flavors and nutritional benefits of the amazing Keto Buffalo Chicken Meatballs recipes.
How to make it healthier
Keto Meatballs are already a healthier option than traditional meatballs as they use keto-friendly ingredients that are low in carbs and healthy fats. However, here are some additional tips to make them even healthier:
Here are some time-saving expert tips that can help when making this perfect appetizer:
Storage and reheating instructions
To store leftover meatballs, allow them to cool to room temperature first. Then, transfer them to an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. If you want to store them longer, you can freeze them. To do this, place the cooled meatballs in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag, removing as much air as possible before sealing. They can be stored in the freezer for 2-3 months. When ready to use them, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat them using your preferred method.
To reheat the meatballs, there are several options:
When reheating the meatballs, ensure the perfect heat level, as overcooking can make them dry and tough. It's best to reheat them in small batches to ensure even heating. Additionally, you can add a small amount of water or chicken broth to the dish before reheating to help keep the meatballs moist.
Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
Keto Buffalo Chicken Meatballs are an incredible dinner choice for those who crave zesty and bold flavors. Packed with keto-approved ingredients like ground chicken, hot sauce, and seasonings, these meatballs make a tasty and nutritious addition to your keto meal plan. Serve them with your favorite low-carb sides for an adaptable dish perfect for any time of day.
If you're searching for a tasty weeknight dinner or a delightful appetizer, these low-carb chicken meatballs are sure to satisfy your taste buds while keeping you on track with your keto objectives. So, go ahead and give them a whirl—you'll be hooked on their mouthwatering goodness!
Frequently asked questions
Keto Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ red bell pepper minced
- 2 green onions minced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 cup Franks RedHot
- ¼ cup blue cheese
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- Mix chicken, red bell pepper, green onion, mayonnaise, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and salt together in a large bowl. Roll the mixture into 16 meatballs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Fry meatballs 3-4 minutes per side until golden and the internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoons of butter to the skillet along with the hot sauce. Toss with meatballs. Top with toppings and serve.