Mediterranean Stuffed Mushrooms
These feta stuffed mediterranean mushrooms are the bomb (do people still say that? I hope I’m not too behind the times). Regardless, pair these babies with a glass of dry red wine and that, ladies and gentlemen, is my version of heaven. The salty tanginess of the feta mixed with the briny olive-y antipasto are a perfect match, but the grilled portobello cap is an unparalleled serving vessel for the deliciousness.
Mushrooms are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, especially potassium which is something most people (keto-dieters or not) are deficient in. They also contain surprisingly high levels of selenium and copper which contribute the immune boosting and antioxidant characteristics of mushrooms. These fun guys are also jammed full of B-vitamins, which are essential for a healthy metabolism and nervous system. Eating food rich in B-vitamins help keep your liver, skin, eyes and hair healthy.
I don’t know about you, but I know what my favorite part of this recipe is. I really enjoy the mushrooms, I love the feta, but I LOVE the olives. If you’ve ever watched the TV series How I Met Your Mother you might be familiar with the Marshall’s olive theory, in which the best relationships are the ones where only one person likes olives. That’s how Lauren and I began our relationship, I hated olives… seriously couldn’t stand them, and she loved them. However, as time has gone by they have become one of my favorite foods. I eat them straight out of the jar, or cover salads, pizza, or taco bowls in olives. I guess since my tastebuds have evolved that makes us the exception to the olive theory.
Check out these other resources to read more about the awesome nutritional benefits of portobello mushrooms:
MEDITERRANEAN KETO STUFFED MUSHROOMS
These Mediterranean Keto Stuffed Mushrooms are bursting with bright flavors from an antipasto feta filling. These are a great low carb appetizer!
- 5 portobella mushroom caps (385g)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning
- 5 ounces feta cheese
- 95g mixed jarred antipasto mix, chopped
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Parsley, for garnish
- Remove the middle of the mushroom caps and use for another recipe. Toss the caps with the olive oil and spices.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat. Add the mushrooms and lemon to the pan. Grill the mushrooms 10 minutes flipping once.
- Mix the feta and antipasto together and stuff into the caps, grill another 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and a squeeze of the charred lemon.