These EASY Keto Magic Bars are the perfect sugar-free and low-carb dessert! A shortbread crust, pecans, coconut, chocolate chips, and homemade caramel sauce make these so delicious!
These Keto Magic Bars really live up to their name and no...it’s not an illusion. Yes, they are "keto", yes they are delicious, and yes they will disappear without a trace! Now if we could only figure out a way to pull them out of a hat we could have an interactive magic show/restaurant in Vegas.
We’ve wanted to make these dessert bars for a long time, but until recently every attempt we made to make them, the end product just didn’t meet our expectations. Then the keto gods smiled upon us and we were blessed with an erythritol brown sugar substitute. We knew immediately when we saw the bag we had to buy it, and as soon as we opened and smelled it we knew we had to make keto magic bars.
Honestly, these little bites of joy remind us of a tiny pecan pie with just a teensy bit of coconut cake mixed in. They are great with your favorite keto-friendly ice cream for a dessert, and in our humble opinion, the best dessert currently on Cast Iron Keto.
How to make keto magic bars
- start by making your shortbread style crust - this is super easy, all you need is blanched and finely ground almond flour, salt, an egg, and butter. You'll pre-bake the crust.
- next, make the caramel - this uses heavy cream, butter, brown erythritol, vanilla extract and salt. Watch it carefully!
- mix up the fillings - chocolate chips (we use Lily's), unsweetened shredded coconut, and pecan pieces and add them to the pre-baked crust.
- top the fillings with the caramel and bake one last time.
That's it! Don't let the caramel scare you, it's super easy!
Caramel not mixing into the fillings?
Some folks have mentioned that their sauce just sits on top like a crust. If this happens your “condensed milk” probably cooked just a little too long.
No worries though, just mix the sauce into the toppings a bit before placing back in the oven so that everything mixes together.
Any type of nut or seed is delicious in these Keto Magic Bars! We love using pepitas, sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, or even hemp seeds!
Keto Magic Bars
- 1 cup almond flour we use Bob’s Red Mill Superfine Almond Flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Condensed Milk Caramel:
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup Swerve Brown Erythritol you can also use any granulated erythritol
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 9 oz bag Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- In a medium bowl mix together the crust ingredients until a ball of dough forms. Press the dough into an 8 inch cast iron skillet.
- Poke a few small holes in the crust with a fork. Bake for 20 minutes until slightly golden.
Condensed Milk Caramel:
- Place all ingredients in a tall sided pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling continue to boil for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- After 5 minutes it should have reached the consistency of condensed milk or a thick caramel sauce. Set aside to cool.
- Place the pecan pieces, coconut, and chocolate chips on top of the curst. Pour over the condensed milk (see note below recipe) and return to the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes before cutting into bars.