This Dutch Oven Keto Peruvian Chicken Soup is a super soup packed full of veggies, protein, healthy fats, and tons of flavor!
Peruvian Chicken is one of our favorite meals so we thought it was time for some Keto Peruvian Chicken Soup! This soup is loaded with chicken, turnips, carrots, peppers, onions, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice.
The soup is a vibrant green due to the peppers and onions getting blended up with the cilantro as part of the soup base. You can use rotisserie chicken or plain boiled chicken for this recipe, both work great.
How to make Peruvian Chicken Soup
You’ll start by sauteeing the peppers, onion, garlic, and cumin in a 5-quart dutch oven over medium heat with the avocado oil (or any type of oil of your choosing). Once it’s softened you’ll transfer the mixture to a blender with a cup of the broth and blend until smooth.
Next, you’ll add the remaining broth to the dutch oven along with the carrots and turnips, bring the soup to a simmer and cook until the veggies are tender. As the last step, you’ll pour in the blended green base and chicken, bring back to temperature and serve.
Are carrots keto?
Yes, carrots can be included in a keto diet. Keto is about a ratio of macros, not avoiding specific foods. While carrots may have a higher carb count than some will allow, also consider how supremely nutrient-dense carrots are. Finding a balance between a well-rounded diet that keeps you in ketosis can take some trial and error. That said, if you’d like to leave the carrots out you totally can.
What is the nutritional information?
As always, you can find the full nutritional breakdown including the carb count (total carbs and net carbs) at the bottom of the recipe card. You can find the serving size/yield at the top of the recipe card. You should always double-check your specific ingredients as different brand’s ingredients may have different values.
Keto Peruvian Chicken Soup
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 large poblano pepper diced
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1 serrano pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 cups chicken stock divided
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¾ lb cooked shredded chicken
- 1 large turnip diced
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 2 avocados for serving
- Heat the oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot add the poblano, onion, serrano, and garlic to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes until soft. Add in the cumin and cook a minute longer.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender with 1 cup of the chicken stock, cilantro, and lime juice. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the remaining broth to the dutch oven and place back over medium heat. Add in the turnips and carrots, bring to a simmer. Cover and continue to cook for 7-10 minutes until the turnip and carrots are almost tender.
- Pour in the green sauce and chicken. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, garnish with cilantro, green onion, and avocado. Serve immediately.