This Keto Peruvian Chicken with Tangy Green Sauce is a delicious meal that’s easy to make and absolutely packed with flavor!
This Keto Peruvian Chicken with Tangy Green Sauce is full of flavor and seriously simple to make. The green sauce and salsa criolla really give the chicken an international flair that is unique to Peruvian cuisine. I honestly can’t say which part is my favorite; the spice-rubbed crispy skin, the juicy chicken leg meat, the crunch of the salsa criolla, or the tanginess from the green sauce. It’s when all the flavors converge, that the magic happens.
I’ve never been to Peru, but it’s on my bucket list (and it’s towards the top). I’d love to spend some time hiking in the Andes, trekking to Macchu Picchu, and exploring the Pacific coastline. And of course, enjoying roasted chicken just like this and more delicious local cuisine! But until that day comes I’ll just have to keep daydreaming about the ultimate vacation. And of course, I’ll be keeping this chicken on the menu.
The first time I had Chicken like this was several years ago at a restaurant called Viva Chicken in Charlotte North Carolina. It was so unlike any chicken I had ever tasted before. The flavor was just more intense than other rotisserie chickens.
You know that feeling when you try new food (or a new preparation of a beloved food) for the first time? You start to chew and then the first wave of taste hits you and you start smiling while you chew. Then you look over to the person you’re dining with and they’re beginning to grin and you start to say “Oh my goodness, this is soo good!” but your mouth is full so it comes out all mumbly. You still get your point across though and they respond with a full mouth mumble of “I know, right!”… I love it when Lauren and I get to share that experience. So I was very glad she picked that Peruvian Chicken Joint for lunch that day.
Keto Peruvian Chicken with Tangy Green Sauce
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 4 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken chicken
Salsa Criolla (Lime Pickled Onions + Tomatoes)
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes quartered
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
Tangy Green Sauce:
- 1 large bunch cilantro stems and all
- 10 large mint leaves
- 1 jalapeño
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Mix together the cumin, avocado oil, paprika, salt, pepper, oregano, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Brush the chicken with the lemon juice then rub with spice mixture. Place the chicken in a large cast iron skillet and transfer to the oven.
- Roast the chicken for about 60 minutes until the internal temperature reads 165° F.
- While the chicken is roasting make the salsa criolla by placing all of the ingredients into a jar and shaking well, refrigerate until ready to use. *They get better as they sit so feel free to make ahead
- To make the cilantro green sauce simply blend together all of the ingredients.
- Serve the chicken with the green sauce, salsa criolla, and additional lime if desired.