Get ready to meet your new favorite keto appetizer - our mouthwatering Keto Halloumi Fries! This recipe is a delectable game-changer, especially when you're craving something crispy, golden, and oh-so-cheesy.
We think one of the reasons we personally love this recipe so much is because it combines the flavor profiles of two of our favorite cuisines from around the world. Greek and Indian, but another big reason we love it is that it’s fried cheese…how could it not be delicious?
This recipe is super simple, too, and gives you the option to dress yours up however you’d like. We used Indian toppings, but could you add jalapeños and guac for a Mexican twist, or keep it 100% Mediterranean and throw some olives and tzatziki on top?
- Preparation and cooking overview
- Chef's note
- 🧀 Ingredients for this keto halloumi fries recipe
- Ingredient substitutions
- Additional ingredients
- Cooking tools required
- Tools substitute options
- How to make Keto Halloumi Fries: step-by-step guide
- Cooking methods
- Preparation steps
- Cooking instructions
- Baked halloumi fries
- Air fryer method
- How to make it healthier
- Time-saving tips
- What can I prepare ahead of time?
- What to have with halloumi sticks?
- Storage and reheating instructions
- Leftover storage
- Leftover reheating methods and best practices
- Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
- Frequently asked questions
- 📖 Recipe
Preparation and cooking overview
Creating these Keto Halloumi Fries is a flavorful adventure that's delightfully simple! In under 20 minutes, you'll be crunching into these golden, irresistible bites, marveling at how quickly you brought such deliciousness to life.
Have fun exploring the versatility of these halloumi fries! Feel free to experiment with different seasonings and dips that cater to your unique taste buds. Remember, switching to a keto lifestyle doesn't mean bidding farewell to your favorite foods. It's about discovering healthier, equally delicious alternatives that leave you feeling great without sacrificing flavor.
🧀 Ingredients for this keto halloumi fries recipe
Cooking tools required
To make this Keto Halloumi Fries recipe, you'll need the following tools:
Tools substitute options
If you don't have all of the above tools, don't worry! You can use the following substitute options:
How to make Keto Halloumi Fries: step-by-step guide
- Cut the halloumi into sticks resembling the shape of fries, about ¼ inch in thickness.
- In a shallow dish, beat the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Mix the almond flour, grated parmesan cheese, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper in another shallow bowl.
- Dip each halloumi cheese fry into the beaten egg mixture, then coat well in the spicy paprika almond flour mixture for a good crispy coating.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the fries to the skillet in a single layer, ensuring not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry on each side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the cooked halloumi from the skillet using a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve hot, and enjoy.
Baked halloumi fries
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip each cheese stick in the beaten eggs, then coat well in the almond flour mixture. Place the coated fries on the prepared baking sheet, ensuring they are not touching each other.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Air fryer method
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Dip each cheese stick in the beaten eggs, then coat well in the almond flour mixture.
- Arrange the coated fries in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring they do not touch each other.
- Air fry for 6-8 minutes, or your gluten-free halloumi fries air fryer way is ready to serve.
Note: The cooking time may vary depending on the thickness and the cooking equipment used. Always check the doneness of the fries by visual inspection.
Chef's pro tip
For the ultimate fry-frying experience, go for a non-stick pan or a well-loved cast-iron skillet - they're champions at preventing stickiness. The golden ticket to the best taste and texture? Serve these fries hot and fresh out of the pan, when they're at their crispy, flavorful best!
How to make it healthier
What can I prepare ahead of time?
What to have with halloumi sticks?
This snack can be served on its own or with various side dishes. Here are some serving ideas to make your snack lavish:
Storage and reheating instructions
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Leftover reheating methods and best practices
You can reheat coated halloumi strips in a few ways, but for keeping that crave-worthy crispiness, the oven method definitely takes the crown!
Note: Reheating in the microwave may cause the fries to become soggy, so the oven method is preferred.
Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
And just like that, we've created our Keto Halloumi Fries! It's a straightforward, crowd-pleasing dish that infuses the flavors of Greece and India into a keto-friendly appetizer. Who could resist such an enticing fusion?
As you savor the crispy, golden exterior and the tangy, salty burst of fried cheese, you'll realize that this is not just food - it's an experience. An experience that transcends age, as kids and adults alike fall in love with every bite. So why wait? Head to your kitchen, channel your inner chef, and bring this beloved recipe to life. Let's make every meal a celebration with these irresistible halloumi fries!
Frequently asked questions
If you try this recipe share your version(s) with me on Instagram and be sure to tag @castiron_keto
Keto Halloumi Fries (Indian Style)
- 8 oz Halloumi cut into fry size sticks.
- 1 cup avocado oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ cup pickled red onion
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- 2 serranos thinly slices
- 2 tablespoons minced herbs cilantro + mint
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ⅛ cup mint
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 serrano
- Squeeze of lemon
- ½ cup full-fat yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Make the sauce by combining all of the ingredients and
- Place the oil in a 10.5” cast iron skillet and heat over medium until it reaches 350° F.
- Gently drop the halloumi into the hot oil frying for 3-4 minutes per side until crispy and golden. Remove and place on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- For the sauce, simply blend all of the ingredients together until smooth, refrigerate until ready to use.
- When ready to serve top the fries with the toppings and sauce.
Nutritional info is for the Indian style fries