These Keto Chicken Teriyaki Skewers with Pickled Cucumber Salad are perfect for grilling season, or you can simply use your cast iron grill pan! The sticky sweet charred chicken goes great with the quick pickled cucumber salad!
We love skewers, there's something so satisfying about food on a stick...popsicles, lollipops, kebabs, name one thing that's served on a stick that would be equally as delicious served in a bowl...All jokes aside, these Keto Chicken Teriyaki Skewers with Pickled Cucumber Salad are one of our favorite quick and easy weeknight dinners.
We're also obsessed with anything and everything that is pickled. Like, crazy obsessed. This quick pickled cucumber salad is based on one of our favorite sushi restaurants cucumber salad. It's tangy, a bit sweet, and goes great with the charred chicken.
The sauce in this recipe is the star of the show though. When you're cooking the chicken, you'll think it's going to be quite boring but then when you brush the sauce over the skewers and continue to cook them until the chicken is charred and the sauce is sticky, well that's just perfection.
If you need another side to serve up with these skewers, cauliflower rice would be the obvious choice but we're also in love with these Kung Pao Brussels Sprouts!
Plant-based? We love making this recipe with firm tofu cubes instead of chicken! Simply sub out the chicken for pressed tofu cubes (we love Hodo Tofu as it's really firm) and grill until charred. Easy peasy!
Keto Chicken Teriyaki Skewers with Pickled Cucumber Salad
- 1 lb chicken cut into 2” cubes, pressed tofu if plant-based
- 4 green onions cut into 2” pieces
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons brown erythritol
- ½ tablespoon tapioca starch
- ½ tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
Pickled Cucumber Salad
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons powdered erythritol
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large cucumber thinly sliced
- ¼ small shallot thinly sliced
- Combine all of the ingredients for the cucumber salad in a shallow bowl, refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
- Alternate threading the chicken and green onions onto the skewers. Sprinkle with salt.
- Grease a cast iron grill pan and place over medium heat. Grill the skewers for 3 minutes per side.
- Divide out half of the sauce, so that you’re not dipping the brush that touched raw chicken back into the sauce. Brush the skewers on each side with half of the sauce, continue to cook and baste with sauce, flipping the skewers every minute or so, for an additional 5 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle the skewers with the sesame seeds and serve with the cucumber salad.