Keto Chicken Soup
When the the weather turns cold, or you’ve got a cold there are few things more comforting than a big warm bowl of chicken soup. I mean you can’t go to a book store and find a section full of Minestrone for Your Soul or Clam Chowder for Your Soul (well, maybe you could in you searched hard enough in New England). But for the most part chicken soup is synonymous with warmth...comfort...healing, and this low carb version doesn’t disappoint your tastebuds or your soul.
I made this recipe in a cast iron dutch oven and like all the recipes on Cast Iron Keto I use cast iron cookware, but you don’t have to. All the recipes will work perfectly fine in whatever cookware you are using, I just prefer the simplicity of cleaning and the flavors cooking with cast iron brings out in the food. This was the first recipe I made in this dutch oven after seasoning it thoroughly. The layer of ghee to start out the recipe also helped to make sure the fat had begun to polymerize with the iron and create a good non-stick surface.
One of the many reasons I enjoy cooking with cast iron are the nutritional benefits. I know you don’t take a bite out of the pan itself but just cooking a meal in a cast iron skillet actually fortifies your food with iron, and the longer you have your cast iron cookware and the more meals you cook in it the more effective it becomes at supplementing your iron intake. Most guys don’t have iron issues, but I had to stop donating blood a few years ago because my levels dropped so low. I was tired all the time and it took a toll on my day to day life, so if your iron levels are low cast iron may be exactly what you need.
You can read more about the health benefits of cooking with cast iron here:
Keto Chicken Soup
A delicious keto version of classic comforting chicken soup of Recipe
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 2 Carrots, cut into ¼“ rounds
- 2 Celery Stalks, cut into ¼“ slices
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, minced
- 8 Peppercorns
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 6 cups Broth
- 1 (7 oz) package Miracle Noodles (fettuccine)
- Heat ghee over medium heat in dutch oven. Saute carrots, celery, onions, and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add in broth, chicken, parsley, peppercorns, and salt. Let simmer for 35 minute.
- While soup is simmering prepare Miracle Noodle according to package instructions. The drying step is unnecessary.
- Pull the chicken out, shred with two forks or a pair of meat claws, and place back in the dutch oven along with the Miracle Noodles.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
- If the nutritional breakdown below doesn't satisfy your macro's add an additional tablespoon of ghee to the recipe or top with an avocado, either are delicious additions to enhance the fat content. Or serve it as a side to a high fat dish for a complete meal.