This Keto Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole (also called funeral potatoes) is a delicious low-carb dish that tastes very similar to the original recipe. Made with tender turnips instead of potatoes, this cheesy and creamy delight is the perfect answer to all of your cravings for a delicious cheesy casserole. So let's dive right into it and see how you can prepare this treat in an hour!
- Preparation and cooking overview
- Chef's note
- 🥣 Ingredients for this keto cheesy hashbrown casserole recipe
- Ingredient substitutions
- Additional ingredients
- Cooking tools required
- Tools substitute options
- How to make Keto Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole: step-by-step guide
- Cooking methods
- Preparation steps
- Cooking instructions
- What to serve with keto cheesy hashbrown casserole?
- Nutritional facts
- How to make it healthier
- Time-saving tips
- What can I prepare ahead of time?
- Storage and reheating instructions
- Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
- Frequently asked questions
- 📖 Recipe
Preparation and cooking overview
Making this keto funeral potatoes recipe is a breeze. You start by blending sour cream, cream of chicken soup, melted butter, and some spices in a cast iron skillet. Then, add shredded cheese and turnips before topping it all off with a buttery pork rind mixture. All that's left now is for you to bake it all for about 55 minutes, and that's it! You have a delicious keto hashbrown casserole ready to go!
Enhance the taste of your Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole by adding a bit of jalapeño or chili flakes. Pair the dish with the deep flavors of smoky gouda or spicy pepper jack cheese for an exciting twist. Even simple modifications like these can significantly elevate a regular dish into a culinary masterpiece.
🥣 Ingredients for this keto cheesy hashbrown casserole recipe
Here are the essential ingredients you'll need to make this dish:
Spotted something on the ingredients list you'd prefer not to include? No problem! Here are some keto-friendly alternatives you can use instead:
Boost the flavor profile of your low-carb hashbrown casserole with these additions:
Cooking tools required
To make this Keto Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole recipe, you'll need the following tools:
Tools substitute options
How to make Keto Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole: step-by-step guide
- Gather all the required ingredients for the recipe.
- Measure all the ingredients to ensure you have them in the right quantities.
- Dice or grate the turnip.
- Grate the cheddar cheese.
- Crush the pork rinds.
- Set up your cooking area.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Combine the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, six tablespoons of melted butter, salt, pepper, and dried onion in a 10" or larger cast iron skillet.
- Add the turnips and shredded cheese to the skillet, and start stirring.
- Mix the crushed pork rinds with the remaining four tablespoons of melted butter in a small bowl.
- Place the pork rind mixture over the top of the turnips.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes until the top is golden brown and the turnips are tender.
- Your hash brown casserole is now ready to savor!
Chef's pro tip
A key to a casserole is managing moisture. Ensure your turnips are well-drained before you combine them with cheese to avoid a soggy casserole. A handy trick is to squeeze shredded turnips in a towel to remove excess water. This simple step can turn a good dish into a great one.
What to serve with keto cheesy hashbrown casserole?
Pair this casserole with a selection of keto-friendly foods to enjoy:
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 300
- Calories from fat: 225
- Fat: 25g (38% Daily Value)
- Saturated fat: 15g (94% Daily Value)
- Cholesterol: 71mg (24% Daily Value)
- Sodium: 600mg (26% Daily Value)
- Potassium: 203mg (6% Daily Value)
- Carbohydrates: 5g (2% Daily Value)
- Fiber: 1g (4% Daily Value)
- Sugar: 4g (4% Daily Value)
- Protein: 13g (26% Daily Value)
- Vitamin A: 665IU (13% Daily Value)
- Vitamin C: 16mg (19% Daily Value)
- Calcium: 196mg (20% Daily Value)
- Iron: 1mg (6% Daily Value)
How to make it healthier
Here are a few ways how you can make a healthier cheesy hashbrown casserole:
What can I prepare ahead of time?
Storage and reheating instructions
Note: An electric skillet, air fryer, or toaster will also work as a reheating method.
Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
Our Keto Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole offers the comforting flavor of a classic potato dish but without the carbs. With minimal ingredients and time, you can prepare a nutritious, delicious meal that caters to your taste buds and dietary needs. Don't hesitate - dive into this culinary adventure and discover why this dish is a crowd-pleaser. Happy cooking!
Frequently asked questions
Keto Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- 1.5 cups sour cream
- 10 oz cream of chicken soup recipe here
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 lbs shredded or cubed turnips
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups crushed pork rinds 140g
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F.
- Combine sour cream, cream of chicken soup, 6 tablespoons of melted butter, salt, pepper and dried onion in a 10” or larger cast iron skillet.
- Add the turnips and shredded cheese to the skillet, stir to combine.
- In a small bowl mix together the crushed pork rinds and the remaining 4 tablespoons of melted butter. Place the pork rind mixture over the top of the turnips.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes until the top is golden and the turnips are tender.