These EASY Keto Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers make a delicious skillet dinner! Roasted poblanos get stuffed with authentic Chicken Tinga and melty cheese, then topped with pico de gallo and a quick avocado lime crema.
- Preparation and cooking overview
- Chef's note
- Ingredients for this keto chicken stuffed poblano peppers recipe
- Stuffed Poblanos
- Avocado crema
- Optional toppings
- Cooking tools required
- Tools substitute options
- How to make Keto Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers: step-by-step guide
- Cooking methods
- Baking method
- Air fryer method
- Time-saving tips
- How to make it healthier
- What to serve with our chicken stuffed poblano peppers?
- Storage and reheating instructions
- Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
- Frequently asked questions
- 📖 Recipe
Preparation and cooking overview
Get ready for a flavor-packed fiesta with our Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers! Start by preheating your oven to 400°F. Prepare the peppers by roasting them and removing the seeds. Stuff them with a delicious combination of Chicken Tinga, shredded cheese, and cilantro, then bake them in the oven or air fryer for about 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the peppers are tender.
For an extra kick, add some minced jalapenos to the chicken mixture. And don't forget to experiment with the toppings! Try pickled onions, sliced avocado, or a dollop of keto-friendly sour cream.
Ingredients for this keto chicken stuffed poblano peppers recipe
Cooking tools required
To make this Keto Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers recipe, you'll need the following tools:
Tools substitute options
How to make Keto Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers: step-by-step guide
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Make the Chicken Tinga according to the recipe instructions.
- Prepare the peppers by placing them on a gas burner for a few minutes.
- Now, cut off the tops of the peppers and remove the seeds and membranes. Place the peppers on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 5-7 minutes until slightly softened.
- Combine the cooked chicken meat, shredded cheese, and chopped cilantro in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Stuff them with the chicken mixture. Return the poblano stuffed chicken peppers to the baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the peppers are tender.
- While the peppers are baking, prepare the Avocado Crema. Blend the avocado, cilantro, sour cream, salt, lime juice, and pickled jalapenos until smooth in a blender or food processor.
- Serve it hot, drizzled with Avocado Crema to enhance a rich flavor.
Air fryer method
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Stuff the bell peppers with the chicken mixture and place them in the air fryer basket.
- Cook the stuffed poblanos in the air fryer for 12-15 minutes or until the poblanos are charred and tender and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the stuffed poblanos from the air fryer basket and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
*Note that cooking time may vary depending on the poblano's size and the air fryer's power. Check the poblanos frequently to avoid overcooking or burning.
Chef's pro tip
When making Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers, handling the poblanos with care is important to avoid any unwanted spice surprises. The most common mistake is forgetting to remove the seeds and membranes, which can result in an extra spicy dish. To prevent this, thoroughly remove the seeds and membranes from the poblanos before stuffing them.
For milder heat, you can even rinse the poblanos under cold water after removing the seeds. By doing so, you'll achieve a balanced and enjoyable spiciness that everyone can savor without any surprises. Happy cooking!
How to make it healthier
What to serve with our chicken stuffed poblano peppers?
Storage and reheating instructions
Alternatively, you can reheat leftovers in the microwave. Here's how:
Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers offer a winning combination of health, flavor, and satisfaction. With tender chicken tinga, smoky poblanos, and creamy avocado crema, this dish checks all the boxes for a delicious and keto-friendly meal. Indulge in this Mexican-inspired delight's enticing flavors and textures while staying true to your healthy lifestyle. It's a guaranteed recipe to leave you satisfied and craving more.
Frequently asked questions
Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- 1 batch Chicken Tinga
- 6 large poblanos
- 1 ½ cups shredded Queso Chihuahua or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 avocado
- Handful of cilantro
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 pickled jalapenos
- ½ cup Pico de gallo
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Place the poblano peppers on top of a gas burner, alternatively place them on a baking sheet under your oven broiler. Roast for 5 minutes until charred on each side. Place the roasted peppers in a glass container with a lid or a paper bag. Set aside to cool.
- Make the avocado crema by combining all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once cooled, scrape off most of the charred skin and slice open the poblanos straight down the middle on one side removing the stems and seeds.
- Carefully stuff each poblano with the chicken tinga mixture as well as the cheese. Arrange the poblanos in the cast iron skillet and transfer to the oven for 12 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- To serve, top with the avocado crema and the pico de gallo.
Recipe sounds delish, will be trying soon! Thanks for the work.
Made this for tonight, of course had to taste for salt level..so good cant wait, house already smells amazing from just roasting the peppers and making the chicken tinga.