These low-carb Stuffed Zucchini Boats with Jalapeño Popper Chicken are a delicious mix of chicken, cream cheese, Mexican blend cheese, jalapeños, and bacon.
As you probably know by now we here at Cast Iron Keto are a tad bit obsessed with jalapeño popper anything. We've got a jalapeño popper stuffed chicken, a jalapeño popper stuffed meatloaf, and jalapeño popper stuffed mushrooms.
We hope you don't mind that we're adding another great recipe to the mix!
How do you make zucchini boats?
- You'll start by halving the zucchini lengthwise.
- You'll then use a spoon to scoop out the insides leaving just a bit of white flesh so that they are still sturdy.
- You'll then bake the zucchini to soften them before filling them, topping with cheese, then baking one more time.
It really is that easy! Be sure to choose large zucchini, not the super small or skinny kind as you'll want enough room to load them up with fillings.
Is Zucchini good for a keto diet?
Yes, zucchini is a low-carb vegetable /fruit option that's perfect for a keto diet. Zucchini is high in water and fiber. It also contains significant amounts of vitamins B6, riboflavin, folate, C, and K, and minerals, like potassium and manganese.
Also, did you know that zucchinis are technically a fruit? When zucchinis develop they form from an overgrowth of the zucchini flower and are botanically classified as a berry. The zucchini is the swollen ovary of the zucchini flower. A vegetable, on the other hand, must be an edible plant part, such as the roots, stems, leaves or tubers of a plant. Based on these definitions, zucchinis are botanically considered fruits.
There's your fun fact for the day.
Could you use different fillings or meat mixture?
You could use ground beef or ground turkey if you'd like! We just really love the shredded chicken in these for that classic jalapeño popper vibe.
You could also go a completely different direction and switch up the fillings entirely, here are a few off the cuff ideas:
Saute some browned ground beef with garlic, salt and pepper, tomato sauce, marinara sauce, or pasta sauce, olive oil, and Italian seasoning. Stuff it into the zucchini, top with parmesan and bake.
Saute chorizo with garlic, bell peppers, onion, garlic, Rotel, and stuff into the zucchini. Top with Mexican blend cheese and bake.
Have another flavor idea? Drop em' below!
What is the nutritional information?
As always, you can find the full nutritional breakdown including the carb count (total carbs and net carbs) for keto at the bottom of the recipe card as well as the servings at the top of the recipe card. You should always double-check your specific ingredients as different brand's ingredients may have different values.
Could these zucchini boats be an appetizer or side dish?
Yes, just cut them into smaller pieces Don't worry the filling won't fall out if you use a sharp knife to make clean cuts. Do this for an appetizer or serve with another grilled meat or a large side salad as a side dish.
Stuffed Zucchini Boats with Jalapeño Popper Chicken
- 4 zucchini halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 8 ounes block cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar divided
- 6 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 jalapeños minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut zucchini in half and scoop out the middle. Place zucchini halves cut side up into a large cast-iron skillet.
- Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and bake about 15 minutes.
- While the zucchini is baking mix together the remaining ingredients (only ½ cup of each cheese) in a large bowl.
- Once the zucchini is done baking divide the filling between the zucchini and top with the remaining ½ cup of each cheese.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until cheese is melted about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Imelda Trinklein says
I substituted green salsa for the jalapeños. I used the zucchini boat as a side to a hamburger patty.
Those look delicious!
The best! A new staple!
I plan to try it soon.