These Spicy Pork Belly Collard Greens are a perfect Keto, gluten-free, Whole30, and low-carb side dish recipe!
If you are looking for a delicious fat-packed side dish, look no further. These Spicy Pork Belly Collard Greens are what Keto is all about. With plenty of nutritious veggies, an addition of some protein, and all the fatty goodness of the pork belly you can’t go wrong.
This dish pairs perfectly with BBQ, (lettuce-wrapped) burgers, steak, and just about anything else you can imagine, but you don’t have to take our word for it. Whip up a batch and give it a try. It only takes a few minutes, chopping the ingredients is the most labor-intensive part of the recipe.
Collard greens never get any of the glory but Dr. Joel Fuhrman has established the Aggregate Nutrient Density Index (ANDI) which quantifies the nutrient density of individual foods on a scale of 1-1000. Collard greens have the highest rating possible of 1000. That’s right at the top of the list with kale and watercress.
These collard greens are also delicious with our Keto Cornbread. Anyways, adding pork belly to the equation is a total game-changer.
Check out these other resources to read more about the health benefits of collard greens!
Plant-based? Use tempeh instead!
If you’re plant-based, swap out the pork belly for tempeh bacon, it’s totally delicious and you’ll still get the smokiness from the nutty tempeh. We love this brand.
Spicy Pork Belly Collard Greens
- 4 ounces cooked pork belly or tempeh bacon for plant-based
- 1 bunch collard greens 10 oz / 300g
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat, brown the pork belly 2-3 minutes per side or until golden and crisp.
- Add the garlic and jalapeño to the skillet and cook 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the chopped collards in batches until wilted. Pour in ACV and continue to cook 5-10 minutes until soft. Season with salt to taste.