This Keto Vegan Tofu Vindaloo is a quick and easy weeknight dinner option that’s packed full of both vegetables and flavor!
This Keto Vegan Tofu Vindaloo is PERFECT for entertaining multiple eating styles, think dinner party and family get-togethers, and is absolutely delicious.
To make this recipe SUPER easy we’re turning to one of our favorite Simmer Sauce brands, Maya Kaimal. We’re using their new Vegan Vindaloo Simmer Sauce in this recipe. Made with coconut milk, tomatoes, onions, spices, and serrano peppers this may just be one of our favorite sauces to have on hand for quick dinners.
Let’s get to the ins-and-outs of this recipe:
Is tofu keto?
Yes! Tofu can definitely be included on a keto diet. There are 1.6g net carbs per 100g serving of tofu. We do want to say that you should always try to source sprouted and organic tofu so that you avoid GMO’s which is very common in soy crops. Sprouted tofu also improves the digestibility of soy for some people. For this recipe, we’re using super-firm tofu that's been pressed.
How to press tofu?
Even though we’re using super-firm tofu you’re going to want to press it to remove excess water. This allows the tofu to get crispy in the hot oil instead of just steaming. No one likes mushy tofu.
While there are tofu presses that you can pick up relatively cheap but we opt to simply place a cooling rack on top of a sheet pan, put the tofu on the rack, cover with another sheet pan, then plop something heavy like a dutch oven on top. Leave it be for 30 minutes or so before slicing and cooking. You’ll be amazed at how much water comes out!
Can I sub the vegetables for other ones?
Green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, hot peppers, asparagus, onion, tomatoes, turnip, and zucchini or squash work great in curries.
What should I serve this with?
You’ll want to serve the curry with cauliflower rice instead of regular rice for keto of course. We’ve provided a super easy and tasty recipe for a spiced cilantro cauliflower rice below! We also like some type of hot sauce, pickled onions, and sliced serranos, cucumbers, and fresh cilantro!
How long does curry keep?
You can keep curry for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. We love these meal prep bowls that are BPA free for storing perfectly portioned meals making them perfect for grabbing for lunch or meal-prepping for the week.
Maya Kaimal also has plenty of other awesome simmer sauces besides this Vegan Vindaloo as well if dairy isn’t an issue:
Madras (see our post for Curry in a Hurry using the Madras sauce!)
Each will have a bit different carb count but most are perfectly suitable for a low-carb diet.
You can find Maya Kaimal at most grocers, be sure to use this handy product locator on their website to search for stores near you!
Keto Vegan Tofu Vindaloo
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil algae, refined coconut, or avocado
- 1 14 oz package extra-firm tofu, drained pressed and cut into 1” cubes
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jar Maya Kaimal Vegan Vindaloo Simmer Sauce
Spiced Cilantro Cauliflower Rice
- 1 12oz bag frozen cauliflower rice
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil same as above
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 jalapeno diced
- Start by pressing the tofu using a tofu press or simply placing a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet. Place the tofu on the rack then place another sheet pan over it and top with something heavy like a dutch oven (see post above for example image). Press for at least 30 minutes. Cut the tofu into large cubes.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil for the “rice” in a 10.5″ cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the garam masala and diced jalapeño to the pan. Cook for 1 minute then add in the cauliflower rice. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the “rice” is fluffy (about 5 minutes). Stir in the cilantro. Transfer to a serving dish and place somewhere warm.
- Add the 3 tablespoons of oil to the skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the tofu 3-4 minutes per side until golden. Add in the vegetables and cook an additional 5 minutes. Pour in the simmer sauce and cook another 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
What’s a sub for the jarred sauce? Are there recipes for it?
Cast Iron Keto says
Hi Judy, we don't have a recipe for Vindaloo sauce, this is a Keto one from another site. Hope this helps!
Thanks so much!