These Keto Tandoori Chicken Bowls are packed full of flavor! Charred spiced chicken, onions, jalapeños, cauliflower rice, cucumber, and homemade raita come together for an amazing low-carb feast!
Our low-carb and keto Tandoori Chicken Bowl Recipe captures the bold flavors of classic Indian cuisine. Brimming with juicy chicken pieces, white rice, a fragrant blend of spices, and tangy yogurt raita, these bowls offer a balanced meal that is nutritious and gives you a satisfying dining experience.
Why not add some fun to your kitchen and let the tasty tandoori spices take you on a flavor-packed adventure?
- Preparation and cooking overview
- Chef's note
- 🍲 Ingredients for this keto tandoori chicken bowls recipe
- Ingredient substitutions
- Additional ingredients & Toppings
- Cooking tools required
- Tools substitute options
- How to make Tandoori Chicken Bowl: step-by-step guide
- Cooking methods
- Preparation steps
- Cooking instructions
- What to serve with tandoori chicken bowls?
- How to make it healthier
- Time-saving tips
- What can I prepare ahead of time?
- Storage and reheating instructions
- Storage instructions
- Reheating instructions
- Expert tips
- Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
- Frequently asked questions
- 📖 Recipe
- Looking for more Keto Indian recipes? Check these out!
Preparation and cooking overview
This quick meal prep recipe provides a satisfying, protein-packed meal that will leave you feeling energized, nourished, and still on keto! Though the recipe is created in a real tandoor oven (a hot clay oven) here at Cast Iron Keto, we come up with recipes you can easily cook with simple tools and ingredients!
This Keto Tandoori Chicken Bowl is an excellent choice for our health-conscious readers, as it incorporates the enticing flavors of traditional Indian cuisine into a low-carb, nutrient-dense meal. By swapping regular rice with cauliflower rice and using a wholesome yogurt raita, this dish maintains its authentic taste while offering a healthier alternative.
For more inspiration check out our Chicken recipe.
🍲 Ingredients for this keto tandoori chicken bowls recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need to create this recipe:
Here are some keto-friendly ingredient substitution options in this recipe:
Additional ingredients & Toppings
Enhance your dish with these delicious and keto-friendly additional ingredients and toppings:
Cooking tools required
To make this Tandoori Chicken Bowl recipe, you'll need the following tools:
Tools substitute options
In case you don't have the exact cooking tools mentioned above, here are some possible substitute options for you:
How to make Tandoori Chicken Bowl: step-by-step guide
For this Tandoori Chicken Bowl recipe, follow these preparation steps:
- Gather and measure all the ingredients.
- Clean the chicken thighs and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Cut the red onion into quarters and halve the jalapeños.
- Seed and small dice the cucumber.
- Mince the cilantro.
- Measure paprika, garam masala, ground turmeric, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, ground ginger, and salt.
- Melt the coconut oil.
- Prepare the cauliflower rice according to the package instructions or make it from scratch using a food processor.
Once the preparation steps are completed, you can proceed with the cooking process.
- Marinate the chicken: Place the thighs in a large container. Add 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil and the spices paprika, garam masala, ground turmeric, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, ground ginger, and salt. Toss the thighs to coat evenly with the spices and oil. Set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or even better, for a couple of hours.
- Prepare the homemade yogurt sauce (raita): In a small bowl, mix the unsweetened plain whole milk yogurt, diced cucumber, cumin, minced cilantro, and lemon juice. Stir until well combined, then refrigerate until you're ready to serve. Some people also prefer a mint flavor in their yogurt raita, so it mainly depends on whether you want a minty yogurt or not.
- Cook the chicken: Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil. Once the oil is hot, place the marinated pieces of chicken, quartered onion, and halved jalapeños in the skillet. Cook for 20 minutes, flipping it once or twice to allow an even char on the chicken to form on all sides.
- Prepare the cauliflower rice: Prepare according to package instructions or by sautéing fresh in a separate skillet with a little oil until tender.
- Assemble the bowls: Divide the cauliflower rice among four serving bowls. Top each bowl with the cooked chicken, onions, and jalapeños. Add a dollop of yogurt raita on the side or top for a flavor punch. Garnish with additional cilantro, if desired, and serve immediately. Serve hot, and enjoy!
Chef's pro tip
For a super tasty and tender chicken, let it soak in the marinade for at least 2 hours—or better yet, overnight. This gives the spices time to work their magic, making the meat extra juicy and flavorful. To get the most out of your marinade, use a zip-top bag or airtight container and give it a flip now and then to keep those spices moving and grooving.
What to serve with tandoori chicken bowls?
How to make it healthier
What can I prepare ahead of time?
Storage and reheating instructions
Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
Wrapping it up, these Tandoori Chicken Bowls pack a punch of flavor, making them a fantastic keto and low-carb alternative to traditional tandoori chicken dishes.
Featuring sizzling spiced chicken, onions, jalapeños, cauliflower rice, and a cool yogurt raita, it's the ideal make-ahead dinner to tackle those weeknight hunger pangs. This recipe lets you infuse your kitchen with the vibrant taste of Indian cuisine while staying true to your diet goals. Give it a go and prepare for a flavor explosion in every bite!
Frequently asked questions
Keto Tandoori Chicken Bowls
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or tofu for plant-based
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- ½ tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted and divided
- 1 red onion quartered
- 3 jalapenños halved
- ½ cup unsweetened plain whole milk yogurt dairy-free if plant-based
- 1 small cucumber seeded and small diced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lemon
- 12 ounces cauliflower rice for serving
- Place the chicken thighs in a large container with 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil and the first 7 spices, toss to combine and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the yogurt, cucumber, cumin, cilantro, and lemon. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat with the remaining coconut oil. Place the chicken, onion, and jalapeño in the skillet and cook 20 minutes flipping once or twice to allow a nice even char to form.
- Serve with cauliflower rice and yogurt raita.
Nutritional values are estimates only and do not include carbs from sugar alcohols.
Looking for more Keto Indian recipes? Check these out!
KETO BUTTER CHICKEN
This 30-minute Keto Butter Chicken is a low-carb skillet dinner that everyone will love! It's easy to make and super tasty. Click Here for the Keto Butter Chicken Recipe.
This Easy Keto Naan is perfect for scooping up delicious sauces and curries. It also makes a great tortilla-style taco shell! Click here for Keto Naan Recipe.
This Keto Biryani with Shrimp is a delicious low-carb Indian recipe that's packed full of flavor. Click here for Keto Biryani Recipe.