This Keto Street Style Cauliflower is loaded with Mexican flavors and makes the perfect low-carb side dish for any Mexican-Inspired Meal.
We know, we know…a lot of you don’t like cauliflower but hear us out - this Keto Street Style Cauliflower is DELICIOUS and loaded with a creamy sauce, jalapeños, cilantro, and queso fresco. Queso Fresco is a crumbly, pretty neutral-tasting cheese, and goes great with the charred cauliflower. If you're plant-based, we love Forager's Queso Fresco as a solid replacement.
The key to making tasty cauliflower is to roast it until it’s nice and charred. Aren’t all vegetables better with a little char on them (like these Keto Brussels Sprouts)? There’s something about a char that just makes vegetables for main-dish worthy. Throw them under the broiler or on the grill and forget about them for a while, that’ll do the trick. However, you do not want to cook the cauliflower to the point where it turns into mush.
The second important part of making cauliflower tasty is the seasonings! For this recipe, we simply went with chili powder but keto taco seasoning would also be delicious and add even more flavor!
This street style cauliflower is a great low-carb side dish, see below for our recommendations on what to serve this veggie side with.
How long does this keep?
You can keep this for about 2 days in the refrigerator, just make sure to cover it tightly.
What should I serve this Street Style Cauliflower with?
If you're an omnivore:
- keto carnitas
- carne asada
- grilled salmon
- any grilled meats
- Grilled kebabs (tequila lime shrimp!)
- a burrito bowl
If you're plant-based:
- chili lime tofu
- burrito bowls
- by itself or as a salad with some greens thrown in
- tucked inside some low-carb tortillas as a taco
Can I use a baking sheet to roast the cauliflower?
Yes! If you want to use a roasting sheet simply follow the same instructions below for using a cast-iron skillet except place the florets on the baking sheet in a single layer.
Keto Street Style Cauliflower
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into 1” florets
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ cup mayonnaise egg-free if plant-based
- ½ cup sour cream dairy-free if plant-based, we use Forager
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ⅓ cup crumbled Queso Fresco dairy-free if plant-based, we use Forager
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced or minced
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a 10” or larger cast iron skillet, drizzle with the avocado oil and sprinkle with the chili powder. Transfer to the oven and roast for 40-45 minutes until tender.
- In a medium bowl mix together the sauce ingredients.
- To serve place the cauliflower on a serving platter, drizzle with the sauce and top with the toppings.