THIS KETO PIEROGI SAUSAGE SKILLET IS AN EASY SKILLET DINNER THAT’S PACKED FULL OF FLAVOR!
You may look at this and think it’s going to be hard, however, I promise that it’s not. The base for the pierogi is actually the dough recipe we used in our recipe for Keto Hot Pockets, the dough holds up perfectly to filling and folding making it perfect for the pierogi stuffing.
How do you make Keto Pierogi?
After the dough comes out of the refrigerator you’ll roll the cheesy mixture out between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Next, you’ll use a 3” round cutter. (Don’t fret, a ½ cup measuring cup with work to cut the circles out). Then stuff with the filling inside the pierogi before folding it over. Lastly, use a fork to crimp the edges together, making sure they seal so that none of the filling sneaks out.
WHAT IS IN THE FILLING of these Pierogi?
We went with a classic take on the traditional pierogi but with low-carb modifications. For instance, bite one in half and you’ll find seasoned cauliflower mash along with some farmer’s cheese (a crumbly and mild white cheese), and bacon. The final result is a crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside pierogi that goes great with the sausage, peppers, and onions.
Kiolbassa’s Polish Sausage is just perfect here. This is a traditional kielbasa sausage with a delicious blend of pork and beef. You’ll want to brown the sausage before adding in the peppers and onions because that will add even more flavor to the dish.
After cooking that up until your kitchen smells like a state fair, you’ll top it all of with some shredded cheddar cheese and pop it under the broiler for a few minutes to get nice and bubbly hot.
Now just grab a fork and dig in! This is seriously one of the best recipes on CIK! We just can’t get over how good it is!
Did you make this recipe? Share a snapshot and tag both @castiron_keto and @kiolbassasmokedmeats on Instagram!
Keto Pierogi Sausage Skillet
For the Pierogi dough:
- 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella part-skim / low-moisture
- ⅔ cup almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum optional but recommended
For the Pierogi filling:
- ½ cup pureed cooked cauliflower
- ¼ cup crumbled Farmer’s cheese
- 2 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic salt
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
For the skillet:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 13- ounce package All Natural Kiolbassa Polish Sausages sliced into ½ inch thick medallions
- 2 small bell peppers seeded and thickly sliced
- ½ medium yellow onion thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Make the Pierogi filling:
- In a medium bowl mix together the Pierogi filling, set aside.
Make the Pierogis:
- In a medium mixing bowl melt the mozzarella in the microwave just until melted, about 30 seconds. Stir the remaining dough ingredients into the mozzarella.
- Roll into a ball and knead 1 or 2 times. Place the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin roll the dough out to a ¼” thickness. Use a 3” circle cutter to cut circles out of the dough, mash the scraps back together and repeat until all you have left is the circles and no scraps.
- Divide the filling between the circles. Fold the circles over pinching the sides together. Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Make the skillet:
- Preheat oven broiler to 500° F.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the avocado oil in a 10” or larger cast iron skillet. Brown the Pierogis for 1-2 minutes per side until golden, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet along with the sausage, brown 1-2 minutes per side until browned. Add the peppers and onions to the skillet. Cook 4-5 minutes until starting to soften. Layer in the Pierogis and sprinkle the cheese over the skillet. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.