This Keto “Oatmeal” is a great and delicious way to start the day. The recipe call for the superfoods flax seeds, hemp hearts, and coconut oil to make it a nutritionally dense way to break your fast. It’s packed with healthy fats already, but if you still need more add a bulletproof coffee and you are all set.
Oatmeal (the real kind, not this Keto Oatmeal recipe) was my morning go-to for many, many years. I thought I was making such good/healthy choices when I would wake up and make a bowl of cinnamon brown sugar oatmeal before school. Then once I entered the workforce and being on time become much more important, I transitioned to overnight oats. But no matter the number of miles I ran or reps in the weight room, I just couldn’t seem to make any progress. Once I switch to a Keto WOA everything changed. Read on about how to make my favorite Keto-friendly oatmeal!
What is in Keto Oatmeal?
Our Keto Oatmeal mixture is a blend of the following ingredients:
- almond flour
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- flaxseed meal
- hemp hearts
- coconut oil
- vanilla extract
- almond milk (or another dairy or non-dairy product
Are Oats Keto or Low-Carb?
No, unfortunately, oats are not Keto. Although there is no “Keto” food since “Keto” refers to a Ketogenic metabolic state that is reached by limiting your daily carbs to under 5% of your daily calories, oats are simply too high carb to be included in most peoples keto diet. 1 cup of prepared oats has 23g of net carbs. That’s what the majority of Keto eaters consume in an entire day. So, I guess if you wanted to just have a bowl of oatmeal in the morning with steak the rest of the day you could totally do that 😛.
Keto Oatmeal Variations:
Here are some of our favorite flavor combos!
- sugar-free chocolate chips + peanut butter + sugar-free jam
- Keto maple syrup + toasted pecans
- berries + a drizzle of heavy cream or coconut cream
- blueberries + almond butter
How to Make Instant Keto Oatmeal
If you want to make the Keto Oatmeal as a meal-prep option you can make a large batch of the dry ingredients to have on hand as sort of an instant style oatmeal. You can do this by following these steps:
- multiple the recipe by the number of servings you want to make
- combine all of the dry ingredients (almond flour, shredded coconut, flaxseed meal, hemp hearts, and salt)
- place the mixture into a large container or individual baggies
Then when you’re ready to make the Keto Oatmeal all you need to do is measure out the dry mixture and follow the remaining steps!
Looking for more Keto breakfast recipes? Check these out ↓
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Place all of the ingredients except for the toppings in a small cast iron skillet and bring to a simmer until thickened.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with desired toppings.