Our savory Keto German Cauliflower Salad is an eye-pleasing side dish that is loaded with the goodness of herbs, bacon, and tangy mustard vinaigrette, all nourishing your body when on a keto diet.
After the massive success of our German potato salad recipe, we wanted to give a keto-twist to it, and this is how the idea of a low-carb cauliflower mock potato salad recipe was born. This keto-friendly and delicious German cauliflower salad breaks the stereotype of German food being pretty heavy in the stomach. To prepare this, you just have to assemble your cooking tools and ingredients, and your yummy side dish will be ready in no time. Want the recipe? Let's dive in right away!
- Preparation and cooking overview
- Chef's note
- Ingredients for this keto German cauliflower salad recipe
- Ingredient substitutions
- Additional ingredients
- Cooking tools required
- Tools substitute options
- How to make Keto German Cauliflower Salad: step-by-step guide
- Cooking methods
- Preparation steps
- Cooking instructions
- What to serve with keto German cauliflower salad
- How to make it healthier
- Time-saving tips
- What can I prepare ahead of time?
- Storage and reheating
- Storage tips
- Reheating tips
- Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
- Frequently asked questions
- 📖 Recipe
Preparation and cooking overview
Preparing the Keto German Cauliflower Salad is simple and enjoyable. In just 30 minutes, you can create a flavorful dish by combining crispy bacon and cauliflower florets seasoned to your liking.
Our keto German cauliflower salad is perfect for sharing with friends and family. In fact, you can take this side dish to social gatherings!
Ingredients for this keto German cauliflower salad recipe
Cooking tools required
To make this Keto German Cauliflower Salad recipe, you'll need the following tools:
Tools substitute options
How to make Keto German Cauliflower Salad: step-by-step guide
- Gather ingredients: Assemble the required ingredients.
- Measure and prepare: Measure the ingredients according to the needed quantity.
- Set up your cooking area: Make your kitchen clean. Keep the large skillet, cutting board, and knife within easy reach.
- Cook the bacon in a 10" or larger cast-iron skillet until crispy or golden brown.
- Remove the crispy bacon with a slotted spoon. Transfer them to a plate that has paper towels placed on it.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the hot bacon grease.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat until soft, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add in the vinegar, mustard, oil, and green onion, and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper as per taste.
- Toss with parsley and serve.
Chef's pro tip
One mistake you may make while making this salad is overcooking the cauliflower. Overlooked cauliflower florets are mushy and lack a pleasant bite. So, just sauté florets until tender and slightly golden. Also, we have found improper seasoning as another biggest mistake when making this low-carb cauliflower salad. So, make sure to add seasonings and coat them evenly on the salad.
What to serve with keto German cauliflower salad
How to make it healthier
Although bacon is keto-friendly, it is high in calories and saturated fat. To reduce the calories, reduce the amount of bacon used or refer to our ingredient substitution.
What can I prepare ahead of time?
Storage and reheating
Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
Our Keto German Cauliflower Salad is a sizzling mix of classic German tastes, revamped for a healthier, low-carb way of life. It's a delightful spin on the traditional German potato salad, earning it the playful nicknames 'keto fake potato salad' or 'faketato salad.' So, round up your ingredients and gear, and get ready to whip up this nutrient-rich, bacon-filled wonder. Though it's a star performer as a summer side, it's equally delightful at any time of the year. Ready to jazz up your meal with some German-inspired goodness? Let's get cooking!
Frequently asked questions
Keto German Cauliflower Salad
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into small florets
- 6 slices bacon reserve fat, omit for plant-based*see notes
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a 10" or larger cast-iron skillet until crispy. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and add in the cauliflower to the bacon grease. Add in onion and cook over medium heat until soft about 7-10 minutes.
- Add in the vinegar, mustard, oil, and green onion, cook another 2-3 minutes. Season to taste and toss with parsley before serving.