This Keto German Cauliflower Salad resembles German Potato Salad with bacon, green onions, and a delicious and tangy mustard vinaigrette.
This Keto German Cauliflower Salad is a great side to pair with just about any meal (especially a keto schnitzel). German food typically sits pretty heavy in the stomach, so this lighter low carb version will leave you feeling nourished without sacrificing flavor. The mustardy dressing and the bits of bacon and green onion mixing with the cauliflower will make your taste buds do a little dance with each bite.
German food (and beer) used to be one of my hobbies before I started living the low-carb high-fat lifestyle. In the town my wife and I went to college there was a German restaurant that we’d eat at about once a week, not on Friday’s though because they had live polka music on Fridays and I only made that mistake once. No offense if you are a polka/accordion enthusiast, it’s not my cup of tea but, I do think I could rock some lederhosen. The last time I ate there was right before Lauren and I was part of a world record attempt for the largest game of tag. Our attempt didn’t draw enough people to make it into the record books and I had a bad case of the schnitzel cramps after running approximately 200 yards, but we had fun anyway.
I know in the Keto-sphere there are tons and tons of cauliflower recipes and you’re probably sick of the cruciferous veggies. Now in case, you’re experiencing a little cauliflower burn-out, here are a few cauliflower facts:
By weight, cauliflower is 92% water and very high in fiber which is a crucial nutrient for weight loss, and digestion. Fiber is also important in regulating a healthy immune system.
Cauliflower is one of the only plant-based sources of the nutrient choline, in which most people are deficient. Choline aids in everything from promoting a healthy central nervous system to disease prevention to metabolism support.
Cauliflower is especially rich in the antioxidants glucosinolates and isothiocyanates, which studies have shown to be protective against colon, prostate, lung and breast cancers.
Check out the following articles for a more in-depth look at all the amazing benefits of cauliflower:
- Medical News Today – Everything You Need to Know About Cauliflower
- Dr. Axe – Cauliflower Benefits
- Healthline – The Top 8 Benefits of Cauliflower
Looking for other Keto Cauliflower Recipes? Check these out!
Keto German Cauliflower Salad
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into small florets
- 6 slices bacon reserve fat
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large 10.5″ skillet until crispy, remove bacon and add in the cauliflower to the bacon grease. Add in onion and cook over medium heat until soft about 7-10 minutes.
- Add in the vinegar, mustard, oil, and green onion, cook another 2-3 minutes. Season to taste and toss with parsley before serving.
Nutritional values are estimates only and do not include carbs from sugar alcohols.