The Keto Fried Green Tomatoes With Crab Avocado Salad is a keto twist to the classic Southern dish. Crispy, savory, and bursting with flavor, this low-carb keto recipe is the best!
The unique spin on a Southern classic combines the tartness of unripe tomatoes with the richness of crab and the creaminess of avocado to create a satisfying and indulgent dish. And the best part? It's completely keto-friendly!
- Preparation and cooking overview
- Chef's note
- 🥑 Ingredients for this keto fried green tomatoes recipe
- Green tomato recipe
- Crab salad
- Ingredient substitutions
- Additional ingredients and toppings
- Cooking tools required
- How to make Keto Fried Green Tomatoes: step-by-step guide
- Cooking methods
- Preparation steps
- Cooking instructions
- How to make it healthier
- Time-saving tips
- What can I prepare ahead of time?
- Storage and reheating instructions
- Storage tips
- Reheating method
- Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
- Frequently asked questions
- 📖 Recipe
Preparation and cooking overview
This recipe comes together in 30 minutes with simple ingredients, making it ideal for homemade cooking. You must fry battered green tomato slices in hot oil until golden brown and top them with creamy avocado salad. The result? A keto twist ready to delight you with the traditional taste.
Isn't it just thrilling to create scrumptious, healthier versions of our favorite dishes? These Keto Fried Green Tomatoes are a testament to that! A quick tip - the key to a perfectly crispy coating is to ensure your oil is hot enough before you start frying. And remember the joy of cooking lies in your creativity. Feel free to play around with the spices in your breading mixture or try different toppings to make this dish uniquely yours. Let's dive into the fun of keto cooking, one tasty bite at a time!
🥑 Ingredients for this keto fried green tomatoes recipe
Green tomato recipe
Additional ingredients and toppings
You can top up your Keto Fried Green Tomatoes with the following ingredients:
Cooking tools required
To make this Keto Fried Green Tomatoes recipe, you'll need the following tools:
How to make Keto Fried Green Tomatoes: step-by-step guide
- Gather all the cooking equipment, like the missing bowls and cast-iron skillet. Heat the skillet and add the coconut oil.
- Gather ingredients: Make sure you have all the ingredients in the needed amount.
- Prepare the breading mixture: Whisk the eggs, mix the dry ingredients, and cut the crab meat, avocado, and aroma tomatoes for crab salad.
- Prepare the capers: Soak them in water for 15 minutes if they are salt-packed. Then rinse and drain them with paper towels. If they are brine-packed, rinse them to remove some saltiness (skip if you like it salty) and drain them.
- Mix the coconut flour, Parmesan, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, and pepper in a separate bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip a tomato slice through the egg, then dredge through the flour mixture.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes per side until crispy and golden.
- Repeat with remaining slices of tomato, then fry capers for 1 minute until they start to pop and are crisp.
- Mix the crab salad ingredients except for the capers in a small bowl. Chill until ready to serve.
- Top the fried tomatoes with the crab salad and fried capers to serve.
Chef's pro tip
Even though the instructions are easy, you may burn the tomato slices. So, do not leave them to fry too long to avoid that. Also, if you overcrowd the skillet with too many slices at once, the oil temperature might drop, causing these slices to cook unevenly and be mushy. That's why you use medium-high heat, fry small numbers at once, and remove them from the skillet as soon as they look golden. This should make the tomatoes perfectly crispy and delicious.
How to make it healthier
What can I prepare ahead of time?
Storage and reheating instructions
Note: Do not microwave since they make the slices soggy.
Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
This Keto Fried Green Tomatoes recipe is a great addition to a low-carb diet and is perfect for anyone who loves crispy, tangy, and flavorful food. The combination of the crispy fried tomatoes with the rich and refreshing crab avocado salad makes for a delicious and satisfying comfort food. So go ahead and give this recipe a try, and you won't be disappointed!
Frequently asked questions
Keto Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 green tomatoes cut into ½″ slices (6 slices, 210g)
- 2 tablespoons 18g coconut flour
- ¾ cup 65g parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup coconut oil for frying
- 8 ounces crab meat
- 1 roma tomato seeded and diced (85g)
- 1 avocado diced (122g)
- 2 tablespoons 30g red onion, minced
- 3 ½ tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay
- Juice of half a lemon
- ¼ cup 35g capers, drained
- On a medium plate mix together the coconut flour, Parmesan, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, and pepper. In a small bowl whisk the egg.
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Dip a slice of the tomato through the egg then dredge through the flour mixture. Fry for 2-3 minutes per side until crispy and golden. Repeat with remaining slices of tomato then fry capers for 1 minute until they start to pop and are crisp. Drain both tomatoes and capers on a paper towel-lined plate.
- For the crab salad mix together the remaining ingredients except for the capers in a small bowl. Chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, top the fried green tomatoes with the crab salad and fried capers.