These Keto Fried Green Tomatoes are delicious with our Crab Avocado Salad but we give you numerous ideas on how to serve these crunchy low-carb tomatoes.
Fried green tomatoes are a Southern staple, but c’mon just about any food has a fried version below the Mason Dixon line. These Keto Fried Green Tomatoes, however, are coated in a keto-friendly batter and fried in keto-friendly oil. Even though some people avoid tomatoes on a Keto diet, a serving of these is just 8 net carbs with the crab topping. The fatty and delicious avocado crab salad that we're serving with the Keto Fried Green tomatoes make a wonderful addition to the crunch of the tomato.
Crabmeat is a delicious protein option rich in B vitamins, phosphorus, selenium, copper, and omega-3’s. One thing to be cautious of when shopping for crab meat is to avoid imitation "crab" meat. Always opt for real crab as imitation crab is a highly processed food. It can contain all kinds of starches, sugar, and even MSG. Plus, it's actually made of white fish and usually wheat as well. This is especially useful information for keto-dieters because of all the added starches in a single serving of imitation crab meat can contain up to 20g of carbs. WOW.
Fried food usually gets a bad reputation. However, I think that’s because they are typically carb-heavy foods and fried in highly inflammatory oil. The occasional fried food, like these Keto Fried Green Tomatoes, is a great addition to a healthy high-fat, low-carb diet when fried in healthy oil. Opt for oils like avocado, lard/tallow, algae, or coconut oil.
In the comments section below let me know what the strangest fried food you’ve come across. For me, it was deep-fried Coca Cola (WTF?), from a street vendor at a local festival.
Check out these other resources to read more about the awesome nutritional benefits of crab meat and more reasons to avoid imitation crab:
Ingredients in keto fried green tomatoes
You'll just need a few simple ingredients to make these classic fried green tomatoes! We're skipping complicated ingredients like protein powder and fibers that some recipes use and making these approachable and easy for any home cook. You'll need:
- green tomatoes
- coconut flour
- parmesan cheese
- oil, for frying
Topping options for Keto Fried Green Tomatoes:
- pimento cheese (yum!)
- tucked in our Keto Rolls with lettuce, bacon, and mayo for a BLT Slider!
- with a horseradish sauce
- with Mexican crema, avocado, and pico de gallo
- topped with a bruschetta mix
How to make Keto Fried Green Tomatoes:
- On a medium plate mix together the coconut flour, Parmesan, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, and pepper.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg.
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip a slice of the tomato through the egg then dredge through the flour mixture.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes per side until crispy and golden.
What is the nutritional information?
These Keto Fried Green Tomatoes contain 6g net carbs per serving - this does NOT include the nutritional information for the crab topping. The nutritional info listed below in the recipe card DOES include the crab topping.
Keto Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 green tomatoes cut into ½″ slices (6 slices, 210g)
- 2 tablespoons 18g coconut flour
- ¾ cup 65g parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup coconut oil for frying
- 8 ounces crab meat
- 1 roma tomato seeded and diced (85g)
- 1 avocado diced (122g)
- 2 tablespoons 30g red onion, minced
- 3 ½ tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay
- Juice of half a lemon
- ¼ cup 35g capers, drained
- On a medium plate mix together the coconut flour, Parmesan, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, and pepper. In a small bowl whisk the egg.
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Dip a slice of the tomato through the egg then dredge through the flour mixture. Fry for 2-3 minutes per side until crispy and golden. Repeat with remaining slices of tomato then fry capers for 1 minute until they start to pop and are crisp. Drain both tomatoes and capers on a paper towel-lined plate.
- For the crab salad mix together the remaining ingredients except for the capers in a small bowl. Chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, top the fried green tomatoes with the crab salad and fried capers.