This Keto Chicken Tikka Masala Soup has all of your favorite Indian Tikka Masala flavors in a warm comforting bowl of soup.
As soon as it hits the rainy fall/winter season all we want are big steaming bowls of soup. We tend to eat some version of Indian food (usually Keto Butter Chicken, Keto Tandoori Chicken, or Keto Biryani) multiple times per week so we figured we needed an Indian inspired soup for these chilly days. Enter this Keto Chicken Tikka Masala Soup.
The best part apart from its deliciousness is how utterly simple it is to make. Seriously, all you need is 30 minutes and you need even less than that if you choose to take a shortcut and use a rotisserie chicken instead of cooking the chicken in the soup.
Ingredients in Keto Tikka Masala Soup
- unsweetened crushed tomatoes
- oil (coconut oil, avocado oil, or algae oil all work great)
- heavy cream
- chicken stock
- spices (garam masala, salt and pepper, cayenne pepper)
That's 3 fresh ingredients with the rest being staple pantry items that you likely already have on hand.
How To Make Tikka Masala Soup:
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté the onion for 4-5 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Add the garlic and cook a minute longer before adding the spices to the pot and cooking another minute until fragrant Add in the chicken, tomatoes, and broth.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove and shred the chicken, puree the soup (either with an immersion blender or in a stand blender), then stir in the cream. Top with toppings and serve!
Here are a few ways to make it your own:
Use coconut milk, almond milk, or another nut milk in place of heavy cream.
Making this for kiddos or spice sensitive folks? Leave out the cayenne pepper.
What to serve Chicken Tikka Masala Soup with:
- Keto Naan - soak up all the goodness with our low-carb naan!
- Cauliflower rice - cilantro cauliflower rice would be our choice. This ups the veggies and makes the soup more like a stew.
- With toppings - you don't have to serve this soup with anything additional, it's pretty tasty as-is but it's delicious with jalapeños and cilantro.
Keto Chicken Tikka Masala Soup
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Add in the garam masala and cayenne pepper. Cook stirring for 1 minute until fragrant. Pour in the bone brown and crushed tomatoes. Add the chicken to the pot and cover.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup base until creamy (you can also use a regular blender and transfer the soup back to the pot). Pour in the heavy cream and bring back to a simmer.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the soup and cook another minute or two until reheated. Season with salt to taste.
- Divide the soup between 4 bowls and top with sliced jalapeno, a drizzle of heavy cream, and minced cilantro.
Leave a Reply