This Cheesy Taco Skillet is an easy low-carb + keto 30-minute skillet dinner the whole family will love! The toppings may just be the best part!
This Keto Cheesy Mexican Taco Skillet is packed with cauliflower rice, ground beef, cheese, and veggies. It's absolutely delicious for any low-carb diet and a great Mexican-inspired Keto recipe.
What's in this taco skillet?
- ground beef
- bell peppers
- green chiles
- keto taco seasoning (most store-bought contains weird ingredients including flour)
- diced tomatoes
- cauliflower rice
What are some toppings ideas?
Aren't toppings the best part? These are our favorite ideas for this low-carb taco skillet:
- sour cream
- avocado (duh)
- pico de gallo
- sliced jalapeños
- minced cilantro
- hot sauce
What is the nutritional information?
As always, you can find the full nutritional breakdown including the carb count (total carbs and net carbs) at the bottom of the recipe card. You can find the serving size/yield at the top of the recipe card. You should always double-check your specific ingredients as different brand's ingredients may have different values.
To get a specific serving size you'll want to weigh the final dish then divide by the number of servings. We can't provide this information as your cooking style will vary from ours as well as the brand ingredients you choose to use.
Can I use something other than cauliflower rice?
You could just make this taco skillet extra meaty with additional ground beef or maybe use spaghetti squash? Really though, even if you're not a cauliflower fan we'll bet you'll still love this recipe.
Can I use a different protein in this keto taco skillet?
Sure can! Try this taco skillet with ground turkey or chicken if you don't want to use beef.
For our plant-based friends, we love this recipe with Beyond Meat's ground "beef". You'll also want to swap out the cheese for a dairy-free option and use a dairy-free sour cream for topping as well. Other than those swaps, the instructions stay exactly the same.
Check out these resources to read more about the differences between grass-fed and conventional beef and where you can find a farm near you to buy it from:
- Is grass-fed beef really better for you, the animal and the planet? - Washington Post
- Grass-fed vs. Conventional Meat: It’s Not Black or White - Chris Kresser
- Eatwild's Directory of Farms and Ranches
Keto Cheesy Mexican Taco Skillet
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sour cream dairy-free if desired
- 2 tablespoons cilantro minced
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Once hot add in the beef and cook while crumbling with a wooden spoon until it starts to brown.
- Add in the onion, bell pepper, and taco seasoning and cook 3 minutes or until the onion and pepper starts to soften.
- Stir in the green chiles and tomatoes along with the cauliflower rice. Cook 5-7 minutes until most of the moisture has evaporated.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover just until melted, about 2 minutes. Top with desired toppings and serve.