This Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole is a great classic low-carb recipe. You’re going to love this buffalo wing inspired recipe!
To be completely honest this Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole really shouldn’t really be called a casserole. It should be called a Kick-Ass-Erole. It’s just so good! The spaghetti squash adds a textural element to the dish (I’ve been watching too much Food Network) that makes each bite absolutely amazing. I’ve tried versions of this dish that call for just chicken and cheese(s), and it’s less casserole and more of a dip or spread and is far too rich to eat more than a bite or two. This casserole is definitely substantial and filling!
I think I may have a minor addiction to buffalo sauce. I put it on just about everything. Burgers, omelets, pork chop, you name it. Without thinking about it too hard I can only think of one thing I would never put buffalo sauce in…my morning coffee? But nothing pairs better with buffalo sauce than chicken (and maybe spaghetti squash) especially when you add a little blue cheese (which I totally did after photographing this as I didn’t think about it beforehand). This is my ultimate meal.
I love making and sharing recipes that have hidden veggies like this one, especially when it’s as nutrient-dense as spaghetti squash. The “Squaghetti” contains a surprising amount of omega-3’s which aids in reducing inflammation, roughly 10% of the RDI of Vitamin C in a single cup, and plenty of B vitamins which promote optimal cellular function. Best of all, spaghetti squashes are typically less than a $2/lb so you get a lot of bang for your buck!
Read on for tips and tricks!
Ingredients in Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- spaghetti squash
- boneless + skinless chicken thighs
- fresh jalapeños
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- Mexican blend cheese (cheddar cheese + Monterrey jack cheese)
- buffalo sauce (we use Franks RedHot Original)
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole Topping Options:
- blue cheese
- ranch dressing
- extra buffalo sauce
- sliced green onions
How to microwave spaghetti squash
- cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise
- scrape out the seeds
- place in a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 12-15 minutes until tender
- use a fork to scoop out the strands
- place the strands in a colander to drain before using
Can I use cauliflower instead of spaghetti squash?
You can! Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Casserole is also delicious but we just really love this spaghetti squash version! If you choose to use cauliflower use about the same amount of cauliflower rice as it calls for spaghetti squash.
Do I have to use a skillet?
No, you can totally use a baking dish!
Can I use rotisserie chicken?
Yes! If you are short on time you can use shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken. Just skip the step where you cook the chicken.
How to store:
You can store this casserole covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze this keto low-carb casserole?
Yes, you can! Simply freeze portions of the casserole in freezer-safe containers. To reheat simply microwave or place in the skillet on the stovetop until the cheese is melty and the casserole is heated through.
Nutritional Information for Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole
As always, you can find the full nutritional breakdown including the carb count (total carbs and net carbs) at the bottom of the recipe card. You can find the serving size/yield at the top of the recipe card. You should always double-check your specific ingredients as different brand’s ingredients may have different values.
To get a specific serving size you’ll want to weigh the final dish then divide by the number of servings. We can’t provide this information as your cooking style will vary from ours as well as the brand ingredients you choose to use.
Looking for more buffalo Keto recipes? Check these out ↓
- Buffalo Chicken Fat Bombs
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Sliders Recipe (gluten-free!)
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Avocados
Check out the following links to read more about the awesome nutritional benefits of spaghetti squash and more:
- What is Spaghetti Squash Good For – Food Facts powered by Mercola
- 6 Incredible Reasons to Eat Spaghetti Squash – Naturally Savvy
- What are The Benefits of Spaghetti Squash – LiveStrong
Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- 1 medium spaghetti squash about 550 g of cooked “noodles”
- 1.5 lbs boneless + skinless chicken thighs
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 jalapeños thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Microwave the spaghetti squash by poking holes all over it with a fork and microwaving for 15 minutes. Once done cut in half and use a fork to scoop out the strands. Place in a colander to drain.
- Heat a large 10.5″ skillet over medium heat and fry the bacon until crispy, remove, chop, and set aside.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the onion powder and garlic powder then place in skillet, cook the chicken about 5 minutes per side until crispy and cooked through. Remove to a cutting board and chop into small bite sized pieces.
- Add 3 of the sliced jalapeños to the skillet and saute 30 seconds. Add in the cream cheese, sour cream, and buffalo sauce. Mix until melty then add in the spaghetti squash, bacon, and chicken. Pour in the beaten egg and mix well.
- Top with the shredded cheese and the remaining sliced jalapeño. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Top with desired toppings and serve.
Nutritional values are estimates only and do not include carbs from sugar alcohols.