These Keto Brownies are super fudgy & oh so delicious with their salt flaked tops & espresso flecked center. Perfect with a cup of coffee or all by itself!
These Keto Brownies are about to become your new obsession! If you’re reading this you probably fall into one of two categories. You already know all about how awesome keto is or you are looking at just getting started on keto.
Either way, we think we can all agree that sometimes even the most disciplined and dedicated dieter experiences cravings. Keto has become a way of life for so many people and the great thing about this brownie is you can enjoy all the fudgy deliciousness while staying on your plan.
But wait… there’s more! We know it almost sounds too good to be true already but it just keeps getting better. How many times in the past have you made brownies, and are just exasperated from the mess made while making them? Let’s just list the typical dishes you’d dirty while making a more traditional brownie recipe: mixing bowl, spatula, baking pan, and a mixer. Guess how many you need for this recipe… a cast-iron skillet and a spoon, that’s it! The entire recipe is made from start to finish in one pan.
- Chef's note
- Ingredient substitutions
- Additional ingredients
- Cooking tools required
- Tools substitute options
- How to make Keto Brownies: step-by-step guide
- How to make it healthier
- Time-saving tips
- What can I Prepare ahead of time
- Leftover storage
- Leftover reheating methods and best practices
- What makes these Brownies The BEST?
- Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
- Frequently asked questions
- 📖 Recipe
The magic of these brownies lie in their rich, fudgy texture and intense chocolate flavor. To achieve this, use high-quality ingredients like unsweetened cocoa powder, grass-fed butter, and a reliable sugar substitute. Feel free to personalize this recipe with add-ins like sugar-free chocolate chips or chopped nuts. The options are endless!
When it comes to baking these brownies, using a cast-iron skillet ensures an even heat distribution, resulting in a perfectly baked treat. A well-seasoned skillet will also make it easier to remove the brownies from the pan.
In a nutshell, we encourage you to make these swerve brownies a staple in your low-carb kitchen. After all, it's not just an indulgent dessert but a satisfying way to quench your cravings while staying true to your keto commitment.
For more inspiration check out our Dessert recipe.
Cooking tools required
Tools substitute options
How to make Keto Brownies: step-by-step guide
- Gather and pre-measure all your ingredients, ensuring the eggs are at room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- If using flax eggs, mix 3 tablespoons ground flax with 6 tablespoons hot water and let stand for 5 minutes before using.
- Prepare your cast-iron skillet by ensuring it's clean and dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175°C).
- Melt the butter: Place your cast-iron skillet on the stovetop over low heat. Add the unsalted butter and let it melt slowly, occasionally stirring to prevent burning.
- Dissolve the sugar substitute: Add the granulated Swerve (or your preferred sugar substitute) to the skillet once the butter has melted. Stir continuously until the sugar substitute is completely dissolved and combined with the melted butter.
- Whisk in the eggs: Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and whisk them lightly to break the yolks. Then, pour the whisked eggs into the butter and sugar mixture in the skillet. Stir well to ensure a smooth, glossy batter.
- Add vanilla extract: Pour the vanilla extract into the batter, mixing it thoroughly to incorporate the flavor evenly.
- Combine dry ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix together the raw cacao powder, coconut flour, instant espresso powder, and sea salt. Stir well to ensure there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to the skillet: Slowly add the dry ingredients mixture into the skillet with the wet ingredients, constantly stirring to avoid clumps and ensure a smooth batter.
- Fold in optional add-ins: If you're using any additional ingredients, such as sugar-free chocolate chips or chopped nuts, fold them into the batter at this stage. Be gentle to avoid overmixing, which can affect the brownies' texture.
- Spread and level the batter: Use a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the brownie batter evenly in the cast-iron skillet. Ensure the batter reaches the edges and is leveled smoothly across the surface.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt: Lightly sprinkle flaky sea salt over the top of the brownie batter, adding an extra layer of flavor and a pleasant crunch to the finished product.
- Bake the brownies: Place the cast-iron skillet in the preheated oven and bake the brownies for 20-25 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they bake, and check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the brownies. The brownies are done if it comes out mostly clean with just a few moist crumbs.
- Cool and slice: Remove the skillet from the oven using oven mitts and place it on a heat-resistant surface or a wire rack to cool. Allow the brownies to cool completely in the skillet before slicing them into 8 equal portions.
- Serve and enjoy: Once the brownies have cooled and been sliced, serve them on individual plates and enjoy your delectable, guilt-free Keto Brownies!
If using flax eggs simple mix 3 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons hot water together and let stand 5 minutes before using.
How to make it healthier
Incorporate nutrient-dense ingredients such as chia seeds or ground flaxseeds for added fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants. Alternatively, swirl in a dollop of natural almond or peanut butter for an extra punch of protein and healthy fats.
To lower the amount of saturated fat in your coconut flour brownies, try using plant-based butter or coconut oil instead of regular butter. This substitution not only provides a healthier fat profile but also caters to those following a plant-based diet.
Pre-measure Ingredients: Having all your ingredients measured and ready to go before you start cooking can save precious minutes and make the process run smoothly.
Use Parchment Paper: Lining your cast-iron skillet with parchment paper can minimize cleanup time and make it easier to remove the brownies from the skillet once they're baked.
What can I Prepare ahead of time
Combine the cacao powder, coconut flour, espresso powder, and sea salt in a small container or resealable bag. This pre-made mix can be stored in your pantry and used when you're ready to whip up a batch of brownies.
Storing keto chocolate brownies properly is essential to maintain their freshness and taste. Follow these simple steps to store your leftover brownies:
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before attempting to store them. This prevents condensation from forming inside the storage container, which can cause the brownies to become soggy.
- Cut the brownies into individual servings. This makes it easier to grab a single serving later without disturbing the rest of the batch.
- Cover the brownies with parchment paper and place them in either an airtight container or a sealable plastic bag.Be sure to seal the container or bag tightly to prevent air from entering, which can cause the brownies to dry out.
- Store the fudgy chocolate brownies at room temperature for up to 3-4 days. For longer storage, place the container or bag in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Leftover reheating methods and best practices
When it's time to enjoy your leftover brownies, here are some reheating methods and best practices to ensure a delectable treat:
- Microwave: Place a single brownie serving on a microwave-safe plate and heat for 10-15 seconds or until warmed through. Be careful not to overheat, as this can cause the brownie to become dry or crumbly.
- Oven: Preheat your oven to 300°F (150°C). Place the brownie servings on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with aluminum foil to prevent them from drying out. Heat for 5-10 minutes or until warmed through.
- Toaster Oven: Follow the same steps as for the oven, adjusting the temperature and time as needed based on your toaster oven's settings.
- Skillet: For an extra crispy edge, reheat the brownies in a non-stick skillet over low heat. Place the brownie serving in the skillet and cover with a lid. Heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until warmed through.
Best Practices for Reheating Leftover Brownies
- Always reheat brownies at a low temperature to prevent them from drying out or becoming too hard.
- Consider adding a small pat of butter or a drizzle of melted keto-friendly chocolate on top of the brownie before reheating it to enhance its flavor and moisture.
- Be mindful of portion sizes when reheating, as it's easy to overindulge in these delicious treats.
What makes these Brownies The BEST?
Two things that make this brownie the absolute bomb (people still say that right?) is the salt flakes on top that enhance the flavor and the espresso powder mixed into the batter. The espresso powder brings out the chocolate flavor and makes this brownie a perfect companion to a nice warm cup of coffee! For this recipe, we used Maldon Salt Flakes and DeLallo Instant Espresso Powder.
We don’t post a lot of dessert recipes, but when we do we typically use Swerve sweetener. Swerve is an Erythritol-based sugar replacement that comes in granulated and confectioner forms. We're huge advocates for eating whole unprocessed foods, and in a perfect world whole sweeteners like organic cane sugar, maple syrup, or honey would be both carb and sugar-free, but this world isn’t perfect. So when it comes to making a keto dessert it involves a little compromise, but it’s worth it.
If you’d like to read more about Swerve or Erythritol you can check out the links below:
- What's Swerve Made of?
- Body Ecology - Erythritol: What You Need to Know About This Natural Sugar Substitute
Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
And there you have it, folks! Our one-skillet wonder, the irresistible Keto Brownies are the simple solution to your low-carb dessert cravings. With their rich, fudgy texture and indulgent flavor, you'll wonder how you ever lived without them.
What sets these brownies apart from the rest is their simplicity and versatility. They require minimal cleanup, making them a no-fuss treat you can whip up whenever the desire strikes. Plus, with countless customization options, you can easily make these brownies your own unique creation.
So, whether you're hosting a dinner party, indulging in a cozy night in, or looking for a delectable, guilt-free snack to fuel your day, these delicious brownies are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. And let's be honest, who doesn't love the idea of impressing their friends and family with a dessert that tastes sinfully delicious, yet fits seamlessly into a healthy lifestyle?
In conclusion, it's time to gather your ingredients, grab your trusty cast-iron skillet, and embark on a delightful culinary adventure. These Keto Brownies await, and they're guaranteed to become a cherished staple in your low-carb kitchen. So go on, treat yourself and your loved ones to this mouthwatering masterpiece. After all, life's too short not to savor the decadent moments.
Frequently asked questions
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter dairy-free if plant-based
- 1 cup granulated Swerve
- 3 large eggs at room temperature, flax eggs for plant-based* see notes
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Flaky sea salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt the butter over low heat in an 8 inch cast iron skillet. Once melted stir in the Swerve until dissolved then whisk in the eggs one at a time until you have a thick glossy batter.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir until smooth. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the middle is just set and the edges are crisp. Allow to cool completely before slicing. To speed this process up you can also chill them before slicing.