If you’re reading this you probably already know all about how awesome keto is or you are looking at just getting started on keto. Either way I think we can all agree that sometimes even the most disciplined and dedicated dieter experiences cravings. Keto has become a way of life for so many people I’ve talked to and the great thing about this brownie is you can enjoy all the fudgy deliciousness without any of the guilt or getting kicked out of ketosis.
But wait… there’s more! I know it almost sounds too good to be true already but it just keeps getting better. How many times in the past have you made brownies, and are just exasperated from the mess made while making them? Let’s just list the typical dishes you’d dirty while making a more traditional brownie recipe: mixing bowl, spatula, baking pan, and a mixer. Guess how many you need for this recipe… a cast iron skillet and a spoon, that’s it! The entire recipe is made start to finish in one pan.
Two things that make this brownie the absolute bomb (people still say that right?) is the salt flakes on top that really enhance the flavor and the espresso powder mixed into the batter. The espresso powder really brings out the chocolate flavor and makes this brownie a perfect companion to nice warm cup of coffee! For this recipe I used Maldon Salt Flakes and DeLallo Instant Espresso Powder.
Now, usually I don’t post post a lot of dessert recipes, but when I do I use Swerve sweetener. Swerve is an Erythritol based sugar replacement that comes in granulated and confectioner forms. I’m a huge advocate for eating whole unprocessed foods, and in a perfect world whole sweeteners like organic cane sugar, maple syrup, or honey would be both carb and sugar free, but this world isn’t perfect. So when it comes to making a keto dessert it involves a little compromise, but it’s totally worth it.
If you’d like to read more about Swerve or Erythritol you can check out the links below:
These Keto Brownies are fudgy and oh so delicious with their salt flaked tops and espresso flecked center
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated Swerve
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a 8 inch cast iron skillet. Once melted stir in the Swerve until dissolved then whisk in the eggs one at a time until you have a thick glossy batter.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir until smooth. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the middle is just set and the edges are crisp. Allow to cool completely before slicing. To speed this process up you can also chill them before slicing.