These Keto Breakfast Sausage Hot Pockets are sponsored by our friends at Kiolbassa Smoked Meats. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Cast Iron Keto recipes EPIC.
Who loves Hot Pockets raise a hand ?♂️ Hot Pockets used to be a go-to meal for me growing up and into college. I’m stoked that I’ve now perfected a Keto Hot Pocket that has a flaky pastry style crust. You can fill it with whatever your heart desires but today were doing a breakfast style hot pocket that’s loaded with Kiolbassa Jalapeño Beef Smoked Sausage, scrambled eggs, onions, peppers, and cheese. Talk about a breakfast of champions.
The Kiolbassa Jalapeño Beef Smoked Sausage adds a great smoky / spicy flavor to the hot pocket. I like that it’s a bit heartier than your traditional style breakfast sausage too. With the peppers and onions it just can’t be beat.
The dough recipe here is sort of a fathead dough but without cream cheese. It’s super easy to throw together making this perfectly easy enough for weekday mornings.
The dough also holds together REALLY well making it easy to stuff and fold without the dough ripping apart, not an easy feat in gluten free / keto / low-carb cooking let me tell you.
I’ve added a bit of xanthan gum here to help with that as it kind of acts like gluten to increase the elasticity of the dough. It’s not 100% necessary so if you don’t have it on hand or don’t include it in your diet, no worries, just leave it out.
The best part? These can also be premade and frozen so that you can just pop one in the oven when you’re ready. I place the uncooked pocket on a parchment sheet and freeze for about an hour then wrap in aluminum foil or parchment and then place in a freezer-safe container.
The cooking time for a frozen pocket will be a bit longer than that if you’re cooking them fresh. I’d start with 30 minutes and go from there until it’s nice and golden brown.
Now I have all sorts of fun recipes planned using this dough, pizza pockets anyone? How about ham and cheese or Philly style? Oh yes, this will be fun!
Keto Breakfast Sausage Hot Pockets
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella part skim / low moisture
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 1 egg white
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum optional
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 2 tablespoons diced bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno pepper
- 1 Kiolbassa Jalapeno Smoked Sausage diced
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- In a medium mixing bowl melt the mozzarella in the microwave just until melted, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the remaining dough ingredients into the mozzarella.
- Roll into a ball and knead 1 or 2 times. Place the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin roll the dough out to a ¼” thickness.
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Once hot add in the peppers and onions, cooking 2-3 minutes until soft. Add in the sausage, cooking another 2-3 minutes longer until browned. Use a spatula to scoot the mixture to one side and crack in the eggs. Scramble the eggs and cook just until done.
- Place the mixture in the middle of the dough folding in the sides. Poke the top with a fork so that the steam can escape while cooking.
- Carefully transfer the hot pocket to the skillet and transfer to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan, cut in half and serve.