Kick off your morning with these delicious Keto Breakfast Meatballs that are not only keto-friendly but also gluten-free and low-carb! This adaptable breakfast choice can be paired with a variety of sides to suit your taste buds and dietary needs. Prepare yourself to savor the most mouthwatering breakfast meatballs you've ever tried!
Meatballs for breakfast? You bet! These delicious Keto Breakfast Meatballs have all of your favorite breakfast sausage flavors plus blueberries, butternut squash, and maple extract (or "maple syrup") thrown in. We promise that these are the most flavorful meatballs you'll ever have!
- Preparation and cooking overview
- Chef's note
- 🧆 Ingredients for this keto breakfast meatballs recipe
- Ingredient substitutions
- Cooking tools required
- How to make Keto Breakfast Meatballs: step-by-step guide
- Cooking methods
- Preparation steps
- Stovetop method
- Air Fryer method
- Grilling method
- Slow Cooker method
- How to make it healthier
- Time-saving tips
- What to Serve with Breakfast Meatballs?
- Storage and reheating instructions
- Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
- Frequently asked questions
- 📖 Recipe
Preparation and cooking overview
Whip up these delightful Keto Breakfast Meatballs by combining ground pork, grated butternut squash, blueberries, and a blend of seasonings, then shape them into small-sized balls. Depending on the cooking method and meatball size, these delicious breakfast treats can be ready in less than an hour!
To enhance the flavor of these meatballs, consider customizing the recipe with your favorite herbs and spices, or add some finely chopped veggies like spinach or kale for an extra nutritional boost. You can also experiment with different types of ground meat, such as turkey or chicken, for a change of taste and texture.
For more inspiration check out our Breakfast recipe.
🧆 Ingredients for this keto breakfast meatballs recipe
Cooking tools required
To make this Keto Breakfast Meatballs recipe, you'll need:
Depending on the recipe and your personal preference, you may also need the following:
It's important to read the recipe thoroughly before you start cooking to ensure you have all the necessary equipment and ingredients.
How to make Keto Breakfast Meatballs: step-by-step guide
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground pork, grated butternut squash, blueberries, keto maple syrup (slight drizzle of maple syrup), sea salt, dried thyme, and dried ground sage. Mix the meatball ingredients well using your hands or a spoon.
- Use a tablespoon or a small cookie scoop to portion the meat mixture into 24-28 small-sized balls, depending on your desired size.
- In a skillet or frying pan over medium heat, add the avocado oil and heat until hot.
- Lastly, cook the meatballs for 2-3 minutes in a skillet. Do it until they are brown. You may need to cook them in batches if your skillet is not large enough.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Transfer the browned meatballs to the oven by placing them on a baking sheet and baking them for 10-15 minutes until fully cooked.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving. You can serve them hot or cold, depending on your preference.
Air Fryer method
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the meatballs in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 8-10 minutes or until fully cooked, flipping them halfway through.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the meatballs on a greased grill pan or skewer and grill for 10-12 minutes or until fully cooked, turning them occasionally.
Slow Cooker method
- Place the meatballs in a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours or until fully cooked.
Just keep in mind that cooking times may vary depending on the method you choose and the size of your meatballs, so it's essential to check that they are fully cooked before serving your breakfast favorite.
Chef's pro tip
To maintain the perfect texture for your brunch meatballs, be cautious not to overmix the ingredients. Overworking the mixture can result in tough, dense meatballs. Gently combine the ingredients until they are evenly distributed, taking care not to mix them excessively.
How to make it healthier
What to Serve with Breakfast Meatballs?
This meatball breakfast recipe can be served as a quick and easy breakfast or snack. However, if you're looking to create a complete breakfast plate, several options exist for serving them with complementary sides. Here are a few ideas:
You can also add a complimentary breakfast drink that is low-carb. These are just a few ideas, but feel free to get creative and experiment with different side dishes to find your perfect combination!
Storage and reheating instructions
- Microwave: Place the desired meatballs on a microwave-safe plate and heat for 30-60 seconds or until heated through.
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated.
- Skillet: eat a skillet over medium heat and add the meatballs. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
Wrapping up, these Keto Breakfast Meatballs are not only a delightful and nutritious way to start your day, but they also double as a fantastic office lunch option that can be conveniently packed and enjoyed on the go. With their low-carb and gluten-free profile, these meatballs cater to various dietary preferences. Don't forget that you can meal prep these in advance, ensuring you have a delicious, keto-friendly treat at your fingertips all week long. Give this recipe a whirl and elevate your breakfast and lunch game to new heights!
Frequently asked questions
Keto Breakfast Meatballs
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup grated butternut squash 100g
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon keto maple syrup or 1 teaspoon maple extract + 1 teaspoon low-carb sweetener
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon dried ground sage
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Roll into 18 1” meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a 10” or larger cast iron skillet over medium heat. Brown the meatballs for 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven and continue to bake for 25 minutes.