Are you looking for a delicious dessert that's keto-friendly and guaranteed to wow your taste buds? Look no further! Our Keto Apple Pie is the answer to your sweet-tooth prayers. With its flavorful, buttery crust and surprising zucchini-based filling, this delightful treat is a game-changer for anyone on a keto diet.
Why is this recipe so special, you ask? By cleverly substituting zucchini for apples, we can create a keto-compliant dessert that boasts an uncanny resemblance to traditional apple pie.
The zucchini provides a similar texture and subtle sweetness. And the added spices and low-carb sweeteners ensure a flavor profile that will leave you wondering if you're biting into an authentic apple pie. So go ahead, give this Low Carb Apple Pie a try, and prepare to be amazed!
- Preparation and cooking overview
- Chef's note
- 🥧 Ingredients for this keto apple pie recipe
- Ingredient substitutions
- Additional ingredients
- How to make Keto Apple Pie: step-by-step guide
- Cooking methods
- Preparation steps
- Cooking instructions
- How to make it healthier
- Time-saving tips
- What can I prepare ahead of time?
- Storage and reheating instructions
- Leftover reheating methods
- Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
- Frequently asked questions
- 📖 Recipe
Preparation and cooking overview
This delightful recipe involves crafting a buttery, low-carb crust and a sweet, zesty zucchini filling that's sure to satisfy your taste buds. The crust is first prepared and refrigerated, giving it time to firm up, while the zucchini filling is gently simmered to a slightly thick consistency.
With an hour for chilling the dough and about an hour for assembling and baking, you're looking at a total of approximately 2 hours to create this sensational keto-friendly treat from scratch.
Getting creative with keto has never been more fun! For this recipe, consider experimenting with different spice blends in the filling to personalize the flavor to your liking. And don't forget, practice makes perfect when it comes to rolling out that dough - it might take a couple of tries to get the thickness just right, but when you do, you'll be rewarded with a superbly satisfying, low-carb delight!
Cooking keto is all about embracing creativity, so feel free to make this recipe your own.
🥧 Ingredients for this keto apple pie recipe
How to make Keto Apple Pie: step-by-step guide
- Gather all necessary ingredients and cooking instruments.
- Peel and dice the zucchini.
- Melt the butter for the crust and the filling.
- Measure out all ingredients using measuring cups and spoons.
- Prepare the pie crust by mixing the ingredients and chilling the dough.
- Cook the zucchini filling and let it cool.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix all of the crust ingredients in a medium bowl until a thick ball of dough forms. Knead two or three times until smooth. Cut the dough in half and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- While the dough is chilling, make the filling. Melt the butter over medium heat in a large 10.5” cast iron skillet. Once melted, add the remaining ingredients and bring to a low simmer for 20 minutes until the mixture is slightly thickened. Whisk in the xanthan gum and cook for another minute until thick. Remove to a bowl and let cool.
- Press half of the dough into the skillet and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before adding the filling to the crust. Sprinkle the top with brown erythritol.
- Roll out the remaining dough between two sheets of parchment paper to roughly the size of the top of the pie. You can either gently transfer the dough to the top of the pie, pinch the border together to seal and cut a star in the middle, or cut the dough into strips to create a lattice effect. Choose any design you prefer.
- Transfer the pie to the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Cover the edges with foil to prevent burning, and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and let cool before slicing.
Chef's pro tip
Ensuring your dough stays firm is paramount to a successful bake, so don't bypass the chilling step—it's key to achieving that perfect consistency. By combining almond flour and coconut flour, we're able to create an irresistibly flaky crust that adds an extra layer of delight to every bite.
To keep things smooth and stick-free when rolling out your dough, sandwich it between two sheets of parchment paper before going in with the rolling pin. And remember, patience is a virtue—let your creation cool completely before breaking out the sharp knife for slicing. These simple tips promise to take your baking game to the next level!
How to make it healthier
What can I prepare ahead of time?
Storage and reheating instructions
Leftover reheating methods
Recipe wrap-up and conclusion
This Keto Apple Pie recipe is a genuine game-changer. With the ingenious swap of zucchini for apples, we're serving up a low-carb wonder that leaves everyone both astonished and begging for seconds.
The melding of our buttery, flaky crust with a warmly spiced zucchini filling is nothing less than a low-carb work of art, ready to earn its place in your recipe hall of fame.
Unleash your inner chef and dazzle your loved ones with this irresistible Keto Apple Pie recipe. Brace yourself for an avalanche of praise as they wonder how you made a low-carb dessert taste so out-of-this-world. And remember, creating your pie crust design is a chance to showcase your creativity - a pie that looks as good as it tastes is sure to bring joy to everyone around your table!
In essence, this Keto Apple Pie recipe is proof that a low-carb lifestyle doesn't mean missing out on indulgent desserts. So round up your ingredients, fire up the oven, and prepare to craft a keto-friendly showstopper that will have everyone coming back for more.
Frequently asked questions
Keto Apple Pie
- 5 ½ cups almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 6 large eggs
- 1 stick + 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ¾ cup granulated Swerve erythritol
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups diced peeled zucchini 2.25lbs
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup powdered erythritol
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Apple Pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup brown erythritol
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl mix all of the ingredients together until a thick ball of dough forms. Knead two or three times until smooth. Cut the dough in half and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- While the dough is chilling, make the filling. Melt the butter over medium heat in a large 10.5” cast iron skillet. Once melted add in the remaining ingredients and bring to a low simmer for 20 minutes until the mixture is slightly thickened. Whisk in the xanthan gum and continue to cook another minute until thick. Remove to a bowl and let cool.
- Press half of the dough into the skillet and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes before adding the filling to the crust. Sprinkle the top with the brown erythritol.
- Roll out the remaining dough between two sheets of parchment paper to roughly the size of the top of the pie. You can either gently transfer the dough to the top of the pie, pinching the border together to seal and cutting a star in the middle or you can also cut the dough into strips to create a lattice effect on top. Or choose any design you prefer.
- Transfer the pie to the oven and bake for 25 minutes, cover the edges with foil to prevent burning and continue to cook another 10-15 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and let cool before slicing.