This Keto Charred Cabbage Salad is a delicious low-carb side dish that’s perfect for grilling season!
Sometimes you need a quick dinner, one that’s simple and quick, but all too many times those can be boring. That’s why I try and keep an over the top ridiculous side in the refrigerator for those times, just to liven things ups a bit. This Keto Charred Cabbage Salad is our go-to side dish lately.
Cabbage has so much to offer nutritionally, but I think it gets overlooked in the produce aisle as we are on our way to the kale section. This is especially true for green cabbage, in part because it’s light in color and research has shown us dark leafy greens are more nutrient-dense (think iceberg lettuce vs spinach).
Cabbage, however, is remarkably nutrient-dense. It is absolutely packed with fiber which makes it worth its weight in gold if your version of the keto diet contains a lot of meat and cheese. Feel free to customize this recipe to suit your personal tastes as well, you can substitute red cabbage instead of green cabbage for more vitamin A, or use more or fewer jalapeños (or serranos!) depending on your spice tolerance (Lauren is a fire breathing dragon so we load up on the heat!)
This particular recipe is inspired by a grilled potato salad my wife, Lauren, used to make all the time. I daresay the cabbage version is even tastier, plus it’s completely keto!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- cabbage – you can use green or red
- green onions
- bacon – omit if plant-based
- jalapeños – serranos are also great
- whole-grain mustard
- olive oil
- lemon juice – only use fresh!
How to store the Keto Charred Cabbage Salad:
This recipe makes 6 servings, so if you have leftovers some of the fat will solidify in the fridge. It’s probably personal preference, but you may want to toss it back in the skillet and warm it up. It’s tasty either way and I’ll eat it warm or cold, but sometimes a giggly glob of fat isn’t the most appetizing (although sometimes it is to be honest).
Check out these other resources to read more about the awesome nutritional benefits of cabbage:
- 9 Surprising Health Benefits of Cabbage
- World’s Healthiest Foods – Cabbage
- What Are the Health Benefits of Red Cabbage Vs. Green Cabbage?
Keto Charred Cabbage Salad
- 1/2 large head of cabbage about 1.5 lbs
- 6 slices bacon omit if plant-based
- 1 bunch green onions
- 2 jalapeños sliced
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Start by cooking the bacon until crispy in a large cast iron skillet, reserve 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- Heat a large cast iron grill pan over high heat. Toss the green onions and cabbage steaks with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Grill 4-5 per side until charred on both sides.
- In a small jar shake together the mustard, remaining olive oil, and lemon juice. Pour over the cabbage salad and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Nutritional values are estimates only and do not include carbs from sugar alcohols.