Charred Cabbage Salad
Sometimes you need a quick dinner, one that’s simple and quick, but all too many times those can be boring. That’s why I try and keep an over the top ridiculous side in the refrigerator for those times, just to liven things ups a bit and this charred cabbage salad has been my go to side lately. Lately I haven’t been able to get enough of pulled chicken made in the InstantPot and covered in this BBQ sauce, with a side of this charred cabbage salad. It’s a match made in heaven, but it can go with so many other things as well, or you could just eat a large batch all by yourself.
Cabbage has so much to offer nutritionally, but I think it gets overlooked in the produce aisle as we are on our way to the kale section. This is especially true for green cabbage, in part because it’s light in color and research has shown us dark leafy greens are more nutrient dense (think iceberg lettuce vs spinach). Cabbage, however, is remarkably nutrient dense and can even be used to treat headaches and hangovers. If that’s not enough, it is absolutely packed with fiber which makes it worth its weight in gold if your version of the keto diet contains a lot of meat and cheese… Feel free to customize this recipe to suit your personal tastes as well, you can substitute red cabbage instead of green cabbage for more vitamin A, or use more or less jalapeno’s depending on how much spicy you like it.
This particular recipe is inspired by a grilled potato salad my wife, Lauren, used to make all the time. I daresay the cabbage version is even tastier, plus it’s completely keto!
This recipe makes 6 servings, so if you have leftovers some of the fat will solidify in the fridge. It’s probably personal preference, but you may want to toss it back in the skillet and warm it up. It’s tasty either way and I’ll eat it warm or cold, but sometimes a giggly glob of fat isn’t the most appetizing (although sometimes it is to be honest).
Check out these other resources to read more about the awesome nutritional benefits of cabbage:
CHARRED CABBAGE SALAD
This Charred Cabbage Salad is packed full of fibrous cabbage, smoky bacon, grilled green onions, and spicy jalapeños, all topped off with a tangy mustard dressing.
- 1/2 large head of cabbage (about 1.5lbs)
- 6 slices bacon (54g)
- 1 bunch green onions (70g)
- 2 jalapeños, sliced (42g)
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by cooking the bacon until crispy in a large cast iron skillet, reserve 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- Heat a large cast iron grill pan over high heat. Toss the green onions and cabbage steaks with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Grill 4-5 per side until charred on both sides.
- In a small jar shake together the mustard, remaining olive oil, and lemon juice. Pour over the cabbage salad and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.