This Avocado Caprese Chicken is a great keto and low-carb grilling recipe! Serve it up with an Italian salad or Keto Focaccia for one delicious meal!
This Avocado Caprese Chicken is one of the ultimate combinations of flavors out there. The way the balsamic vinegar in the marinade pairs with the juicy cherry tomatoes, the fatty avocados, and the creamy mozzarella is absolutely incredible.
Cooking the chicken in a cast-iron grill pan allows any juices that escape to stay in the pan and keep the chicken perfectly moist. Sometimes, chicken breasts end up dry. You don’t have to be concerned about that when using a cast iron grill pan though, it seals in the juices perfectly.
The avocados are our favorite part of this dish. So creamy and dreamy 😍
How to make Caprese Smothered Chicken
You'll start by marinating the chicken and making the Caprese salsa with the tomatoes, basil, and avocado.
Then, you'll grill the chicken either in your grill-pan or on your grill. Once the chicken is almost done you'll top it off with a slice of mozzarella.
To serve, simply top the chicken with the Caprese salsa mixture and dig in!
Simply swap out the regular mozzarella for a dairy-free option. Miyokos makes a great fresh-style mozzarella and Violife has a great shredded option.
Tofu cutlets work great in place of the chicken. Use a very firm and pressed tofu like Hodo or press your own.
Keto Avocado Caprese Chicken
- 4 6 ounce chicken breasts or tofu for plant-based
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ garlic powder
- ½ onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices mozzarella dairy-free if plant-based
- 2 avocados diced
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons minced basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon
- Combine the balsamic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a deep container and toss in the chicken. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Make the salsa by combining the avocado, cherry tomato, basil, 1 tablespoon olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat and grill the chicken 10 minutes per side or until the juices run clear. Top each piece with a slice of cheese and let melt. To serve simply top with the avocado salsa.
Leave a Reply