This Avocado Caprese Chicken is a great keto and low-carb grilling recipe! Serve it up with an Italian salad or Keto Focaccia for one delicious meal!
This Avocado Caprese Chicken is one of the ultimate combinations of flavors out there. The way the balsamic vinegar in the marinade pairs with the juicy cherry tomatoes, the fatty avocados, and the creamy mozzarella is absolutely incredible.
Cooking the chicken in a cast-iron grill pan allows any juices that escape to stay in the pan and keep the chicken perfectly moist. I used to use a George Foreman grill for almost all of my cooking in college. While easy to use, the chicken always turned out a little on the dry side. You don’t have to be concerned about that when using a cast iron grill pan though, it seals in the juices perfectly.
The avocados are my personal favorite part of this dish and maybe even my favorite food altogether. They truly are nutritional powerhouses since they contain tons of potassium, heart-healthy fats, and fiber.
Unfortunately, a large portion of the population still believes dietary fat makes you fat, and nothing reinforced that point to me more than while at the grocery store a few days ago.
I was in the produce section picking through the avocados trying to find a few that were softer than baseballs, yet hard enough they didn’t squish when I grabbed them. An older man walked past me and told to be careful, “those things will make you fat”. I didn’t even know how to respond so I just nodded and told him I wasn’t too worried about it and said something about the weather. Ha!
Check out these other resources to read more about the awesome nutritional benefits of avocados:
- Avocado Benefits: The Most Nutrition-Packed Food on the Planet?
- This Is How Much Avocado You Should Be Eating
How to make Caprese Smothered Chicken
You’ll start by marinating the chicken and making the Caprese salsa with the tomatoes, basil, and avocado.
Then, you’ll grill the chicken either in your grill-pan or on your grill. Once the chicken is almost done you’ll top it off with a slice of mozzarella.
To serve, simply top the chicken with the Caprese salsa mixture and dig in!
Keto Avocado Caprese Chicken
- 4 6 ounce chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 garlic powder
- 1/2 onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices mozzarella
- 2 avocados diced
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons minced basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon
- Combine the balsamic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a deep container and toss in the chicken. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Make the salsa by combining the avocado, cherry tomato, basil, 1 tablespoon olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat and grill the chicken 10 minutes per side or until the juices run clear. Top each piece with a slice of cheese and let melt. To serve simply top with the avocado salsa.
Nutritional values are estimates only and do not include carbs from sugar alcohols.