Avocado Caprese Smothered Chicken
This Avocado Caprese Smothered Chicken is one of the ultimate combinations of flavors out there. The way the balsamic vinegar in the marinade pairs with the juicy cherry tomatoes, the fatty avocados and the creamy mozzarella is absolutely incredible, and I haven’t even started talking about the chicken yet. Cooking it in a cast iron grill pan allows any juices that escape to stay in the pan and keep the chicken perfectly moist. I used to use a George Foreman grill for practically all my cooking and the chicken always turned out a little on the dry side. You don’t have to be concerned about that when using a cast iron grill pan though.
The avocadoes are my personal favorite part of this dish and maybe even my favorite food altogether. They truly are nutritional powerhouses, they contain tons of potassium, heart-healthy fats, and fiber. Another wonderful benefit of adding avocados to your meals, is they help your body absorb nutrients from everything else on your plate. So this superfood can help turn your meal into a “supermeal”. Even if you’re not keto you should add avocados to your meals on a regular basis.
Unfortunately, a large portion of the population still believes dietary fat makes you fat, and nothing reinforced that point to me more than while at the grocery store a few days ago. I was in the produce section picking through the avocados trying to find a few that were softer than baseballs, yet hard enough they didn’t squish when I grabbed them. An older man walked past me and told to be careful, “those things will make you fat”. I didn’t even know how to respond, I just nodded and told him I wasn’t too worried about it, and said something about the weather.
Anytime a recipe uses the adjective “smothered” you know it’s going to be good. The title reminds me of going to waffle house back in my pre-keto days and ordering some hashbrowns “scattered, smothered and double covered”. Even if the recipe weren’t named with delicious mouthwatering adjectives, it still would be delicious and mouthwatering. If you have leftovers or make them for later in the week, squeeze a little lemon over the avocado to keep it from turning brown. If it’s going to be a few days, I’d even advise dicing the avocado whenever you’re ready to dig in.
Check out these other resources to read more about the awesome nutritional benefits of avocados:
AVOCADO CAPRESE SMOTHERED CHICKEN
This Avocado Caprese Smothered Chicken is a great low-carb keto recipe for summer grilling!
- 4 (6 ounce) chicked breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 garlic powder
- 1/2 onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices mozzarella
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon
- Combine the balsamic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a deep container and toss in the chicken. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Make the salsa by combining the avocado, cherry tomato, basil, 1 tablespoon olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat and grill the chicken 10 minutes per side or until the juices run clear. Top each piece with a slice of cheese and let melt. To serve simply top with the avocado salsa.